Thursday, March 02, 2006

I Heart the Army Hospital

I think most of you have already heard my horrendous birth story. It was truly horrendous. We filed a complaint with the hospital. I just NOW got a response. And I'm kind of pissed about it. I don't know what I expected, but it seems like nothing will change. I heard that just recently a woman was turned away from that same hospital and gave birth in the SNOW. IN THE SNOW. Outside her house. In Alaska. In January. What is their flippin' problem at that hospital?

Here is their response (that I JUST GOT. Becca is nearly 3 months old):


Please accept my apology for this delayed response. [You assholes! How many more people have you screwed over in the last three months that you couldn't write this pitiful letter sooner? I mean, other than the lady who gave birth in the snow?]

We received your patient concern and immediately delivered copies to LTC Middelstaedt, Chief, Department of Nursing. LTC Middelstaedt informed me that she called you on December 14, 2005, and told you MAJ Garbett would look into the issue. [We're the military! We pass the buck!]

MAJ Ruth Garbett, Head Nurse, Maternal Newborn Unit (MNU), reviewed your concerns, the medical record, interviewed nurses who were on duty, made determinations, and took the following actions. MAJ Garbett found you were evaluated and treated within obstetrical standards [Cave Man Standards, but standards, nonetheless]. She noted you were found to be contracting irregularly, vaginal exam 1 cm[first she said it was 3 cm then changed her mind], negative nitrazine, and negative ferning was confirmed by a medical provider. [Right. I was told I just peed myself. Like that much urine could have fit in my peanut sized bladder at that point. Idiots!] A first time mother with such a physical exam is routinely sent home and advised to take comfort measures (warm bath, shower, rest) or Tylenol for discomfort. [HARDY HAR HAR HAR. Take two Tylenol while your baby is crowning at home and it will definitely take care of any "discomfort."] MAJ Garbett did discuss [but did not actually implement] with the nursing staff the future option of asking similar patients to walk around the hospital and return for reevaluation, especially when the patient appears to be in a great deal of discomfort. [Get ready to have tons of babies birthed in the hospital cafeteria. Still, its better than birthing in your NON DISINFECTED BATHTUB BECAUSE YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO TAKE BATHS AFTER YOUR WATER HAS BROKEN. Morons.]

The Head Nurse also spoke to the nurse who you alleged made the comment about “low pain threshold.” While the staff member denied making the statement [I have two other witnesses. She is also the bitch who told me "You're getting out of control" when the baby was COMING OUT and no one would believe me or perhaps give me an exam or let me into a bed and made me wait in the waiting room.....good thing MAJ Garbett totally ignored that portion of my complaint], MAJ Garbett did present her with the importance of providing patients solely with information about pain management, not opinions. [Yes. Tell them to take Tylenol while their BABY IS COMING OUT!!!That is definitely a helpful pain managament tidbit.]

The final issues MAJ Garbett addressed [because she skipped the other two-thirds of your complaint] was [the final issues was? Nice grammar. See who I'm dealing with here?] the staff member who asked the improper question regarding the rupturing of the membrane [Did you go home and have sex? Did your nurse friend break your water? Apparently only ONE of those questions was improper. Which do y'all think it was?] and not providing information immediately to you about the vaginal exam [Upon seeing the baby crowning got a horrified look on her face and said "I'm not going to tell you" when we said, "WHAT?"]. The staff member will receive written counseling regarding the importance of proper communication. [Oh. Good thing she is getting written counseling. I'm SURE that will make a whole hell of a lot of difference!]

MAJ Garbett asked that I relay her appreciation for letting her review your concerns. The goal of the MNU is to provide the very best nursing for all 5C obstetrical patients [Well, I'd say you're a definite failure there].



Therapy Corner: I thought I was over this. Until this letter arrived today. Everything turned out fine. Rebecca is happy and healthy, despite this hospital's best attempt to ensure otherwise. So, why does this make me so angry? I feel angrier now than I did at the time! Maybe I am just finally thinking about it. Before I was in the new parent fog of sleep deprivation and hormones and relief that everything turned out okay. Now? I'm just PISSED! They totally ruined my birth experience. It could have been such a good experience. I know I know...all that matters is that I have a healthy baby. But I feel like they ruined something that could have been such a joy!

10 comments:

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Oh Boy, I better tell Laura not to read your blogs until after she delivers. Her due date is 3/30. Yikes!

Katie said...

No! You should tell her so that it doesn't happen to her. If they send her home, she should refuse to go!! Once I was there, everything was fine. I don't have any complaints about the rest of it!

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Yeah... you are right. I was thinking that it would make her worry or worse... scare her. She definatly should hear your story so that she can advocate for herself. Thanks for the insight.

Moral of the story, YOU (meaning personal self) know your own body! Don't listen to anyone else, aka The Pissy Army Nurse. You know what is best for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey I didn't know Jacquie broke your water for you....is that possible? Geez, you really were itching to get that baby out!!

Can't wait for you to come back, hurry up!

Katie said...

Jacquie did NOT break my water! But the nurse was so suprised that the baby WAS COMING OUT after they told me I had just peed myself (oh no..your water has broken yet)....that she asked that highly inappopriate question!!

Bruce, Tamara, Lolo & Echo said...

Same thing happened to us in 2002 up at Wainwright. I was at 3 cm with full-up, documented contractions 2 minutes apart but, hey, the magic number there is 4 cm. After several hours at 3 they tried to send us home but Bruce refused (It was 20 below out and a woman had just given birth in her car on the Steese) so I walked stairs for 3 more hours(pausing every 2 minutes to squat out the contractions like a cavewoman in order to get beyond that "magic number" Also ended up with only half an epidural. After the birth I was in a wheelchair and stilll was expected to take Laurel down the long hall to the nursing station so I could traipse back to my end of the hall for the bathroom then back down to the nurses station to retrieve Laurel to bring her back down to my end of the hall by which time I had to pee again or she needed a diaper change or a feeding. Their propensity for inefficiency is astounding. How did you like spending the night in a room with ten other moms and newborns? Ahhh...the joys of childbirth at Army hospitals. Of course, all turned out quite well as far as Laurel is concerned but I'm still irked by the situation. I've been told that many women actually have wonderful care in the hospital before and after the birth. The actual birth turned out quite nicely--no complaints there except the funny incident of the orderly barging into the room with my breakfast as I was pushing Lolo out--"So, you eating breakfast this morning? Oh, guess you're a little busy right now. I'll just leave this on the counter." You'd think the sounds coming from the room would have indicated my "busy-ness" OH, makes for an interesting story.

Joel and Angela said...

Your story makes me so upset at them FOR YOU! I also have some interesting inappropriate comments that a DOCTOR said to me. Good for you for righting a complaint!!!

By the way! Your blog looks better than mine!

Katie said...

Tamara! I had NO IDEA that same thing happened to you! That was so smart of you to stay there and walk the stairs. They kept telling me I wasn't in actual labor yet, so I didn't even think about that option!!! What a piece of crap worthless hospital. They are really truly horrible. I have heard of person after person having their babies somewhere other than a birthing room!!! I get so mad when I think about it!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you did know I was being sacrastic right?!

Katie said...

oh! good! I was hoping you didn't really think that happened! :)