Thursday, August 10, 2006

In the Eye of the Beholder, I Suppose

John just revealed that he hates capri pants and thinks they look stupid and unflattering. He says that in the future we will look back on these capri-pant years and gasp in horror at how ridiculous we look. I say that they are the best solution for people who don't want to wear shorts, but think its too hot for pants. They are kicky and preppy and cute, in my opinion. It took me a long time to embrace the style (I'm usually a few years behind), but once I did I instantly hoped that they wouldn't go out of style for a very long time.

He also thinks that the new (old) look of wearing mini-skirts with leggings looks ridiculous. I haven't gotten up my nerve to wear anything like this yet, but I think its another good compromise for people who want to wear a mini skirt, but don't want the whole white veiny expanse of leg to show. And for people who don't want to accidently flash anyone ala Sharon Stone. I also see it as kind of a nod to the 80s, but without going all big bangs. I think a short denim mini skirt with black leggings and some flats (not those hideous clunky boots in the picture, but rather the shoes from the above picture) would be really cute and London-y poet-y hipster coffee shop-looking.


Where is my coffee?

One fashion trend that I really don't think I can handle yet is the return of the skinny jean. Lord help us, people. Pretty soon they are going to declare pleated pants are back and raise the waistbands. I am all for a little rise in waistbands to avoid the disgusting "new cleavage", but I better not start seeing belts right under the ribcage. Perhaps the new skinny jean might look good on someone tall and skinny, wearing it just right, but I don't think the average American woman is going to be able to pull this one off. That's why we have capri pants! Duh!

Another fashion (that is debatable) fad that I truly do not get is this.

What in the hell are these all about? Plastic shoes? With holes? That are heinously fugly? Why are people wearing these outside of restaurant kitchens? Why would you ever look at that and think, "Gee, those would look nice with my outfit. I think I'd like to be seen wearing these." I obviously do not get this at all and I'm hoping it a fad that will retreat at rapid-light-speed. What do y'all think?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Capris - retarded.
Miniskirts with leggings - retarded.
Crocs - I can understand based purely on comfort.
Skinny jeans - if you can pull it off, go for it.

I apologize to any retards for comparing them to capris or miniskirts with leggings.

Andrea and Ben said...

I don't think men should be able to weigh in on women's fashion unless they are gay. My husband is not allowed to say anything about my wardrobe uless I have asked if my butt looks big. Nothing about the style. So in refute of David's post:
Capris - fabulous! I am planning to wear them all winter in AZ.
Miniskrts with leggings - growing on me, I never thought I would say that.
Cocs - in the garden (although my lovely neighbor seems to get it)
Skinny jeans - hideous. It reminds me of when we used to pin or roll our jeans. Yuck - sorry Stacey London.

Andrea and Ben said...

oh wait, I should add, I like cropped pants or gauchos more than capris, but they are still great.

Jen said...

Is that what those nasty shoes are called? Ick. Why on earth would someone wear those? I must be missing something.

And thank God we are 'done' with summer fashions. The Today show frightened me last spring when they declared the in fashion for summer was going to be the sailor/nautical look. They paraded all these models out in huge navy and white stripes and clunky gold jewelry. Did anyone actually see a person dressed like this over the summer??

Andrea and Ben said...

oh god! I realized my 'r' didn't work earlier!! They are cRocs! Our 'r' and 'i' button stick since the accident last year!

Angie said...

I have not been crazy about capris, either. I have just felt like if you were going to show your calf, you should go ahead and show the knee. Plus, on some people it just looks like they are wearing high water pants.

However, since moving here, they have become more appealing. I now own two pairs. I don't like any of the other things, either.

Oh, and I don't really get the difference in cropped pants and capris??

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

The "What Not to Wear" women from BBC say capris are a no no. I am starting to agree. If you don't wear the right shoes they make you look bigger than you are. With all that said I still own 3.

Lysandra said...

I love capris. I don't get crocs though. Everyone I know that has them says they are comfortable. But I guess I won't find out unless someone gives me a pair

The Quinn Report said...

I agree with you on all the above. I LOVE capris; I just wore some yesterday. The crocs--hate them. I don't care how comfortable they are; they're hideous looking.

Anonymous said...

so, i have...i don't know...8 pairs of capris? yes, that sounds about right. they're fab. i hate how jiggly my legs are in shorts, so without capris, i'm in jeans all summer...which ain't a party when it's 95 outside.

i must also admit that the leggings with miniskirts thing is growing on me. i might actually be able to wear a miniskirt now...hmmm.

Katie said...

I would rather see people looking bigger than they actually are than see cellulite. That, right there, is the best argument for capris!

I don't care if the Crocs are comfy. A ziplock bag full of jello and cotton balls would be comfy too, but you don't see people strapping them to their feet do you?

Anonymous said...

amen, sister.

Sioux said...

We won't be laughing at the fashion atrocity of capris just yet. They've been around for a while. I don't think they're just a trend anymore. That being said, they make me look shorter than I am. David, you would like miniskirts with leggings if you lived where it was colder and leggings are a way to extend seasonal wear of skirts. I'm sure you'd get sick of girls in sweatpants after a while.

Joel and Angela said...

Now I know why Joel and John get along so well. They both have "great taste" (or a least agree on fashion). You know that capris are in for men too? At least in Europe and the Mid East! Tell John I will be glad to buy him a pair!
And I will never be able to wear the ultra low waist jeans due to my ultra high butt!
Maybe we should all wear burkas! That way we don't have to worry about fashion at all! (You know I am kidding right?)

Anonymous said...

Capri pants are fabulous for the Baby Boomers for whom shorts are not an option...any more. I hope they never go out of style.