Thursday, December 07, 2006

Cupcakes for Breakfast?

When Becca was born, Jamie and Chris ordered this sweet personalized doll that measures the same length as Becca did when she was born: exactly 19.5 inches. I didn't see them for a few months, and when they gave it to me, Becca was about 4 months old. I cried like a baby when I saw it. I couldn't believe how little she used to be! I had her sit with it a few days ago to show how much she has grown. It is hard to tell how much bigger she is, because of the angle of the camera or something, but she is huge! Here she was at about 1 week (and me still wearing maternity clothes): Then, here I am holding her at Thanksgiving (also pictured is Robyn). Thankfully I am not still wearing maternity clothes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I guess she grew. Hmmmm...And yes, once again my kid is going barefoot on a major holiday. Every other day of the year she has on socks or tights and shoes. EVERY DAY. Somehow it all goes out the window on special occasions! I just like to mix it up and ensure that her baby scrapbook has an element of white trash to it.

Here she is today, just to prove the child does, in fact, own tights and shoes! Also, did I mention she walks almost all the time now?

So, we did the standard Give Your Baby a Pile of Lard and Sugar to commemorate her birthday. Except I am a total freak and made carrot cake (vegetables!) with whole wheat flour (whole grains! fiber!) with cream cheese frosting (calcium!) and didn't use the full amount of sugar, or anything with trans fat (Mom is a total freak! Poor Becca will never see a Twinkie in her lunch box!) Dad even helped with the baking. John is night-flying tonight, so we had to celebrate her birthday at breakfast so we could all be together. Carrot cupcakes for breakfast! After trying to grab the candle flame and watching Mom freak out, she hesitantly touched the frosting. She didn't like the feeling of the frosting on her fingers at all. Like father, like daughter (John got in trouble for refusing to finger paint in preschool!)
Once I broke apart her cupcake, she saw the cake part and said, "BEH!" Which means "bread," can't you tell? Duh. Then she ate some cake. Overall, she wasn't all that impressed.
It didn't help that she woke up this morning (at 5:30 again. What the hell?) in a dried pile of vomit. Sorry. You weren't expecting that, were you? I probably shouldn't mention dried vomit piles in the same post as my scrumptious homeade-from-scratch-baking attempts, should I? Want to come over for some cake? Anyway, she must have some kind of stomach ailment. So, I questioned whether to give her any cake at all.

John opened her presents and we made a big fuss about them while Becca just looked at us. Then, she took a nap.

My mom sent this gorgeous hand-stitched Amish quilt that she bought in Pennsylvania. Isn't it beautiful? To any quilters out there: what is the pattern called that is used on the four corners of the quilt? (Where the colors just fade into one another.) I LOVE that!
We rounded out the day with lunch at the Chowder House with Lysandra and Mikey, followed by some light shopping. The rest of the day was spent NOT NAPPING.

The End. Birthday celebration complete.

10 comments:

Angie said...

Oh, what a healthy mom you are. Sorry she woke up in vomit. What a great birthday present for her!

Jen said...

So glad John was home to partake in the birthday celebration! She has grown into such a beautiful toddler.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

The picture with the doll is great. I am glad that you and Becca have enjoyed it.

You look great too!

Lysandra said...

Happy Birthday Becca. Lunch was fun and so was the light shopping....Ilove watching her grow.

Anonymous said...

Haha! I am chuckling here, because when my little mister turned one (Oct 13) I also made a carrot cake and a. used whole wheat flour, and b. used half the sugar, and c. made cream cheese frosting. So funny! Yeah, we're both weird I guess. He liked it a lot though!

Anonymous said...

O.K. I'll be the bad example. I use my kids birthdays as an excuse to eat BIRTHDAY CAKE! I know, bad mom. I hang my head in shame. Actually, I hang my head so people can't see me eat one more bit of cake.:) It's my weakness.

Anonymous said...

What a great birthday celebration! I miss y'all!

(My mom said that quilt pattern/design is called Trip Around the World.)

Anonymous said...

That quilt pattern would be called "Trip around the world". The center is usually just more of the same squares, instead of the embroidered block in this variation. I'll see if I can find a website with illustrations.

Love,
(Great)Aunt Linda

The Quinn Report said...

I wish I was as healthy as you. Next year will be fun because she'll be at the age where SHE wants to open all the presents!

Andrea and Ben said...

Sweet! She has gotten so big, and walking regularily now!!! What an accomplishment :0)