Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A Year Ago...

At 10:51 p.m. on December 7, 2005, Rebecca Emerson was born. She came into our lives quickly (and painfully, for me) and just like that, our world changed forever. I never knew that life held such depth and beauty until she was born. Small things have taken on deeper meanings and I will never look at anything the same again.

She was born with her hand up to her face, just as she is in the pictures above. We were just in an exam room, which was basically a closet, since the nurses still didn't believe that I was in labor, despite the fact that my baby was not going to wait any longer.

As soon as she was born, they laid her on my stomach. What a beautiful sight! I have an image seared into my mind of this red, crying baby being lowered onto me, while I asked, "Is it a boy or girl?" I couldn't believe that after all that Not Finding Out the Gender nonsense, I didn't even get a grand, "It's a Girl!" announcement!

Then, the doctor introduced himself to me and shook my hand. Nice to meet you. We had never met the man before that night. The nurses and doctor sang "Happy Birthday" five minutes after she was born, and asked if we were going to name her Pearl, since she was born on Pearl Harbor Day. John took one look at her and exclaimed, "She looks like me!"

I stayed up the entire night that night...too wired, too electrified, and too in-love to possibly close my eyes. Becca slept that night tucked in my arms in the hospital bed. I didn't want to take my eyes off her. I still don't.

The past 365 days have brought so many changes. How does a tiny, red-faced and puckered newborn turn into a child? A real child with emotions, opinions and motor skills? A child who practically runs down the hallway to the bath, who dances to the sound of coffee brewing, who loves looking at pictures of babies, and who begs for whatever food she sees her parents eating. How is that possible?

Since pictures are worth a thousand words, I will stop trying to explain myself and leave you with this:




Props to Sundry for the music idea! Carl Orff's Musica Poetica.

12 comments:

Katie said...

I am sorry that the quality is so bad on that video! It has something to do with Google video....anyway...hopefully you can see enough to make sense of it!

molly said...

I LOVE it. Happy first birthday, Becca. We all love you, and God surely loves you, too, as He chose Katie and John for your parents.

Anonymous said...

Katie, what a wonderful way to celebrate Becca's first year of life. She has changed so many lives. A baby brings out the best in all of us. You and John have given our family a very special gift.
Love,
Grammy

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Becca!

Anonymous said...

Happy 1st Birthday Becca! We love you!!

A Goldsworthy Note said...

Katie, what a great note. A happy belated birthday to Becca. I hope things are going well in AK.

Hope you don't mind, but I added your link to my page. Now I know I'll check it more often.

Take Care.

The Quinn Report said...

Happy first B-day Ms. Becca(if only you would have came a day earlier; then we could have shared the same birthday!!!) You are such a beautiful little girl with a beautiful Mommy!

Did you cry today Katie?

Jen said...

Wow, what a wonderful tribute. Babies truly are miracles, aren't they? Happy Birthday, Becca!

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Your post is wonderful. I cried like a baby watching the video. You did a great job with it. Give Becca a hug from me. Why don't you take a picture by her doll? We can compare her newborn self to now. Just an idea...

Angie said...

I love the post. Babies change everything!

Anonymous said...

Here's a birthday song for Becca!

Happy Birthdy, Happy Birthday
We love you!
Happy birthday and may all your
Dreams come true!
When you blow out the candle
One light stays aglow
It's the love light in your eyes
Where 'er you go!

Hugs & Kisses, Nana & Grandpa Jack

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Becca and Mom!

I think at this age, birthdays are more of a milestone for mom then baby. I hope you had a great day and enjoy the wonderful memories of your beautiful baby girl.