Thursday, September 06, 2007

Nap Town

We ventured down the crowded four-lane interstate filled with aggressive drivers and 18-wheelers stuck to the back bumpers of the cars in front of them to see Annapolis today. There is so much to do around here, but sometimes it often seems too hard to drive more than an hour to see it. And, John might argue it isn't worth the pain of me backseat driving the whole way, screaming and covering my eyes whenever I see brake lights in front of us. But, today we actually made it out of the house. Some days you just have to take your naps where you can get them.


One of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, William Paca, had a mansion and gardens in Annapolis that has been restored. Becca and I ended up spending quite a bit of time in the gardens since she wasn't quiet enough during the tour of the house. We got all kinds of disapproving looks from the docent giving the tour. She was thrilled to show us the way out. I told John to stay and finish the tour, since he is the history buff in the group. I figured I could spend some time taking photos in the gaaaaahden, dahling.



We took a quick zip around the town on foot, looking for the State House (which we somehow missed), seeing St. John's College (where my Aunt Kunky and Uncle Noah went to college--what a spectacular campus) and the Naval Academy. It is one of the most beautiful and quaint towns I have seen. I was definitely impressed. I would think it would be the ultimate college town. I haven't seen so much red brick since I was last in Boston. What is it about red brick and shutters that just scream charm?

I guess the architecture made up for the locals who had a distinct lack of charm. After the pissy pants tour, and after a shopkeeper refused to give us change for the parking meter, we ate at a pub/tavern that didn't have high chairs. (That is the first I've encountered). We sauntered into a used bookstore that had a sign saying, "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy." Funny, actually. The other stores I walked into had all kinds of warning signs about "Make Sure You Watch Your Damn Children You Losers" and other such warnings. However, we did see dog bowls of water sitting outside a few stores. Annapolis: Bring Us Your Mutts, Your Hounds, Your Poodles, But Please, Leave the Children With the Nanny.

That's fine. I know my place. It is far off the crowded, beaten path in a place where there is only vinyl siding and concrete sidewalks, but plenty of people who smile at children. Home Sweet Home....the 'burbs.

10 comments:

Tracy said...

Good for you. What a great family outing!

Jen said...

Love. I love that picture of Becca smelling the purple flowers! You captured the moment so well (like I was there, right?). It is a great picture, in any case.

I always thought I'd be a city girl, but now with kids, small towns have more appeal. Crazy! Funny there were doggy bowls out front but kids were obviously not welcome downtown!

Angie said...

Here, people actually leave their strollers (with their sleeping children in them) outside of shops, while taking their pets inside with them. Amazing. We were told recently that the reason we never see small children at restaurants is because Germans don't take their children until they can act right. We would never get to eat out.

Katie said...

I have heard that about Germany. They must have much cheaper and better access to babysitters than we do here!

The Quinn Report said...

Last weekend, we ventured out to the local Learining Express at the Quarry to find Salem a toy. When we got to the door, there was a HUGE sign that said NO STROLLERS AND PLEASE HOLD YOUR YOUNG ONES! What in the hell? They expected me to just hold my child in a freaking toy store of all places? She went crazy and the whole trip sucked ass because all she wanted was to run around and explore. People and places these days, I swear! Your local toy stores aren't even kid friendly.

renee said...

See, I knew there was a reason that we have lived here for 10 years and have not been to see Annapolis yet! Takes the guilt right out of not "socializing" the kids more!!!!

Andrea and Ben said...

Interesting. Maybe I should check that place out :0) Kidding! I always figured those were thoughts (about children) you kept inside your head!!!

Katie said...

Honestly, you could totally bring your kids to Annapolis...it isn't THAT bad! It just wasn't totally geared for them. It would be more fun to go without them and do a pub crawl!

And, Andrea? I totally used to feel that way about kids myself. I still kind of do in some ways! :)

Anonymous said...

How dare anyone show our gorgeous granddaughter the door??

I remember that happening at Monticello when Susan was a toddler!

Joel and Angela said...

I so loved all those pictures! BUT the family one is by far the best! That sounded like a lot of fun! Better than digging up a side walk!
A