Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Paint Me a Rainbow

So, y'all are really quite good with this painting thing, it turns out. (Except for Swistle who knows what is holding me back. Thank you, Swistle! I am relieved to know I'm not the only one.) In an effort to inspire myself and also to see if I can suck any more of good ideas and inspiration for you guys, I have wasted ten minutes taking photos. Because we all know a To-Do list with pictures is better than one without. Right? Right.

In order of hideousness, I present:

Exhibit A: " The Vomit Suite"
There is a twist that throws a wrench in the decorating plan. This may one day be Becca's room someday in the future if/when we decide it is time to have another. And, I'm drinking a beer as I write this, so the Grandmothers can get their hopes back down. But it needs to be painted a color that works for a little girl's room AND a guestroom. (And, on a completely different note, is it weird to just move your kid from a crib to a queen sized bed? Or do we have to get rid of this one and get a twin?)

Exhibit B: "The Sunshine Suite"
It actually looks less awful once I put the black accents in it. But, I really want something that goes with graphic black and white bedding and that doesn't make your eyeballs swell. It is a very small, cramped feeling room.

Exhibit C: "The Bathroom That Has Been Puked Upon"
It sits in between the two guest rooms. So, it will be a combo guest/Becca bathroom. Also, it has light blue colored linoleum that I would have replaced tomorrow, except for one small problem. My husband. He doesn't really believe in home improvements only for cosmetic sake. I guess I will just make like the previous owner and ignore the flooring when choosing the wall color. Someday in the distant, DISTANT, DISTANT future we may get neutral ceramic tile on the floor. So, until then I will just close my eyes and pretend!

Exhibit D: "Where Light Fears to Tread"

The alcove around the window in our room is a very dark hunter green. Here is a better view (with the previous owner's bed.)It is actually a nice looking combo with the taupe on the walls. But, I want to embrace these new light blues that are all the rage now. I have always loved them, but they were so "out" for so long that I'm thrilled that they're back. I really want bedding like these from Pottery Barn.

I definitely love the Restoration Hardware Silver Sage suggested by Molly. (But, which SHADE did you use? There seem to be a whole range from light to dark!) Susan, is this non-red, non-blue enough for you? This would work for guest room and future Becca room, right? Because we KNOW I don't want to repaint it when it is her room. Let's just make that leap now, mmmmkay?
Also, Jen pointed out the exact shade of blue I'd love to paint that wall in my bedroom (although the website mysteriously doesn't give the name of that one shade of paint!). However, maybe the Restoration Hardware "Shore" one would be even better.

Alright, gentle readers. It is your turn! Advise! I'm feeling more inspired already!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

KT - I saw on trading space that there is a paint designed specifically to stick to cermic tile - out with the blue! Love, Nicole K

Andrea and Ben said...

Bathroom, I am a big fan of the light browns to give them that spa feel. I eventually will do that to my own bathrooms (next weekend, always). Look at the color behind this curtain, it is the kind of look I am going for. Maybe with a better wall color, the linoleum won't look so bad.
http://www.restorationhardware.com/rh/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1325015&navCount=6

Both of the colors at the bottom are great. Greens for the guest rooms and blue for you?? I think I am going to paint my guest rooms the same. It will be cheaper and easier to not store any more cans of paint around here.

Anonymous said...

Before I give any opinions, I have to tell you that I think the Vomit color is pretty. I would call it "Willow" or something, and I'd accent with a lot of pink and white for a little girl room. But the reason I say this up front is so if I say other things about colors, you know to be like, "Um, whatever--she said VOMIT was a good color. (*little dismissive hand, palm out*)"

One thing I've noticed is that many lightish greens look great with pink. So if you do a future Becca room in lightish green, you can make it girlier later without having to (*shudder*) repaint.

With light blue tile, I'd make the whole room white and find matching light blue accents, and try to get away with pretending I MEANT it to be like that. Maybe some spring green in there to relieve the blue/whiteness.

I don't think it's weird to go from crib to queen. I do think it's harder to find cute little-girl sheets in queen--but Simply Shabby Chic (Target) has stuff that would work for little girls too.

I am WITH YOU on the sunshine color. Bright yellows make me feel icky. I don't know what to put with black and white, though. Maybe I'd do white (that makes the room seem bigger and brighter, too) and then get some of those awesome black wall decals SundryBuzz talked about awhile back.

I LOVE "Shore."

Angie said...

Well, since I'm pretty sure that I have painted my living room, Ashlyn's bedroom, and the hall the same blue (or very close) that Jen suggested, I would have to say that I love it. I also think it might look good with black and white, so you could use it in your room and the guest room, saving on paint. I would probably not paint the other bedroom until you are ready to move Becca, or at least, have some other ideas about what you want to do in her room. You might change your mind before that happens anyway.

Unlike Swistle, I probably wouldn't have any rooms white, but it might look nice in the bathroom. Or maybe a very, very light blue (almost white)

As you know, I love yellow walls, though not usually as bright yellow as that one.

Katie said...

I too am a fan of the neutral/taupe/beige/brown bathrooms. I totally think it give it a spa feel. I am going to proceed with that idea and just ignore the floor.

I think I like the idea of the light blue with the black and white in the guest bedroom. And the same light blue in my bedroom.

And, I think I'll do silver sage in the guest/future Becca room. Because I already have her room with green and pink and I can just transfer most of that stuff over when I have to. Plus, I love that color for a guest room, so even if we end up never moving Becca I will love that color!

Y'all are the best!

Katie said...

Also, I believe Swistle may be right. That green isn't as hideous as I may make it seem. It is really more of a guacamole color. Still not what I want on my walls.

Jen said...

Okay, here it is. I do not know the name of the blue, but it's a Ralph Lauren suede paint, so there aren't many to choose from. It's similar to the blues you have on this post. It is GORGEOUS. My friend painted one wall of her bedroom with it and I just wanted to walk up and touch it. I did touch it, just to see, actually. It's that cool. It totally looks like suede and it's very easy to apply. And the blue color looks like the beach. Heavenly.

It looks like you have smooth walls. Do you? Because if you have that crappy orange peel texture that we have, it won't work as well. I did it to Kate's room, and it sort of turned out, but not nearly as well as my friend's wall.

I just had to go and find the color. I think she used the Vera Cruz one:
http://rlhome.polo.com/rlhome/products/paint/items.asp?haid=76

Jen said...

Oh, and on the crib to queen thing: I have a friend who did that with her son, and it worked fine. They put the bed on the floor at first, to let him get used to it...