Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!






Y'all. Seriously. I LOVE Halloween now. I don't know what happened. Maybe it is because I have a daughter who I can dress as a tiny ballerina (And, really? Does she LOOK like a princess? I don't think so. She looks like a DANCER, people!) Maybe it is because we live in a neighborhood with ten million kids walking up and down the sidewalks, full of glee. Maybe it is because it isn't 20 below zero. I don't know. But I found myself gazing at all the tacky Halloween decorations on some lawns around here and thinking "Maybe I"ll do that next year!" Thank God I came to my senses a few minutes later, but I did have a momentary lapse.

Unfortunately, I think I have transferred my fear of the awful Halloween holiday to my poor innocent baby who was terrorized by anyone in a mask. She was shaking and quivering and crying. It was truly pathetic.

She finally relaxed after we ditched the kid in the mask and struck out on our own for trick-or-treating. She did really enjoy the people who let her pick out her own candy (she always went for the plain Hershey bars despite me saying, "OOOOH! Reeses! Take those!")

John is threatening to throw away all the candy and I am threatening to send him to an insane asylum. Who throws out chocolate!? (With the exception of plain Hershey's. I might throw those out.) We let Becca have one small bag of M&Ms before bed and then I hid the candy from her and John. I'm hoping they'll forget about it by morning.

16 comments:

Tracy said...

I am getting ready to hide the chocolate from Randy also! The girls can have the lollipos! I get the rest! That is fair right? She looks SO ADORABLE! I kept try to "push" the girls into getting the good chocolates, but besides Reeses, most of the good candy's aren't in shiny packages, Damn Snickers advertising, you'd think they could work on the packaging and make it more appealing to 2 and 4 year olds to help their mother's chocolate addiction! At least Twix and their shiny packaging is trying to help a mother out!

Jen said...

So cute. SO cute. She looks like a ballerina, not a princess. Where did you get those shoes? Love them. And do you have a pumpkin patch in your backyard? Seriously. You're making the rest of us look bad.

Lysandra said...

Glad you don't hate it anymore. Wanted to tell you that Shiloh Pitt looks alot like Becca...Did you have sex with Brad Pitt?

Unknown said...

She absolutely looks like a dancer! She's wearing ballet shoes for goodness sakes. The tutu is beautiful too....definitely not your run of the mill. I'm with Jen too..what's with the pumpkin patch in your backyard?

Peregos said...

It's Jenna. Becca looks adorable, clearly a dancer. I too admit having kids has made me enjoy halloween more. Joshua and his friend were running from house to house (safely, not a lot of other kids on the sidewalk), loudly singing halloween songs; funny 5 year olds. And David was in shock all night that people were giving him candy, he kept asking "Do they have candy at this house too?" fun times

Katie said...

Oh good lord, no! I don't have more than ONE pumpkin at my house. Since I forgot to go to a real pumpkin patch I loaded Becca up in her Halloween costume and drove two blocks down to this little farm store thing and sat her on THEIR pumpkins. So, one day when she looks back on these photos she will only THINK I took her to a pumpkin patch! :)

Katie said...

And...thanks to Meg for the hand-me-down costume that her mom made. The shoes were part of it--they are some cute brand that is made in Texas. Only Meg's mom can put together outfits such as this. If it had been left up to me, we would have a store-bought costume made of plastic!

The Quinn Report said...

I used to HATE Halloween, and now, it is my FAVORITE holiday. Maybe it will be yours too and next year, you'll decide to go overboard on your decor.

Get out there and hit up all the stores today; everything will be at least half off!

Angie said...

Those pictures are great. I don't think there are pumpkin patches here, at least I don't know where. I wish I'd done better posing Ashlyn, though. And, your so pretty costume makes me wish that I had dressed Ashlyn in something feminine. I just showed her the three hand me down costumes my sister sent (all animals) and asked her to pick one. If her current fascination with princesses continues, I'm sure that will show up another year, though.

And, we have thrown away chocolate, nearly every Christmas actually. It just gets to be too much or we are sure we are going to get too fat with it in the house. I'm glad that we only went to homes that we knew, because Ashlyn had candy in her mouth shortly after it hit her treat bag. She is now calling candy "trick or treat."

Andrea and Ben said...

I agree with Noel that you should buy next year's decorations today! Becca looks absolutely adorable as always :0) Glad you have come around to Halloween!

Anonymous said...

My favorite little kid Halloween story is about David when he was almost three years old. It was his first time out trick or treating, and he DID know about candy. (Did you tell him, Katie?)
We went around the block and when he got home, he ate every single piece of candy, threw up in the toilet (good aim, David!), brushed his teeth and went to bed. And that was that!

Katie said...

Nana--AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK! You said "throw up!" Red Alert!!!!

That story does crack me up, though!

Anonymous said...

I think she definitley looks like a ballerina. Princess's don't wear leotards.

Marie Green said...

I'm guessing this is the last year you'll be able to distract her from her candy stash. Enjoy it!

(She was an adorable ballerina!)

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

ADORABLE!!!!!!!

renee said...

you'll have to peek at my latest post and you will enjoy your little ballerina even more than you could know!! She looks adorable!!