Sunday, November 04, 2007

Assorted Mix

I have to clarify something. In my last post, Bevo suggested I was giving out ideas for Christmas gifts. I didn't realize Bevo was paying such close attention. Dearest Bevo, those are my favorite things that I already have. I guess you wanted my Fantasy Favorite Things/Christmas list. In that case:

A Nissan Murano. Fully Loaded. Black. Or silver.

An on-call babysitter who is trained in CPR and cheap.

This sleeper sofa sectional from Pottery Barn. And this room, too, while you're at it.

An on-call painter who can come finish up for me already because living amongst drop cloths (clothes? cloths? drops cloth? help!) is getting old and why don't I just finish it already?

******

In other news, the famous Bonnie, her husband, Ralph, her son, Mark and his wife, Carrie were in Baltimore this weekend. We went to brunch together in Fells Point and I carried my camera with me for hours and totally forgot to take a picture of the crowd! I did, however, take a picture of the banana bread that Bonnie made for me. I guess I requested some homemade banana bread in a post a while ago. Bevo and Bonnie--winning the award for paying such close attention!

The banana bread was (and I say was because we ate almost all of it in one sitting) fabulous and healthy--she made it with applesauce instead of Crisco. Plus, she added chocolate. Can't go wrong there. This got my mind clicking. Could I make a banana bread with applesauce, part-Splenda, whole wheat flour and flax seed meal? And would it taste good? That will be my mission this week. I'll keep you posted.

****
Guess what else I'm excited about? Health(ier) snack options featuring Dora. Poor Becca got stuck with a weird mom who doesn't buy her the characer "fruit" snacks more than once a year. They are basically just chewy pieces of candy with no fruit in them at all. Why don't they market Elmo, Dora and others on more healthy snacks? Like individual packages of celery. Or on wheat grass juice boxes? What? You don't think they would sell?

****
Is it just me? Or does this day feel like the longest day in history. We've already gotten up, watched a Barney video, had breakfast (banana bread and pomegranate seeds), been to Walmart (where I found the Dora raisins! Score!), ironed John's shirt, made a fort in the basement for Becca, done some laundry, blogged....and it is not even 11 a.m. yet. Holy Crap. Not so sure about this "falling back" thing once you have children. It isn't like anyone was able to luxuriate in an extra hour of sleep this morning. Oh no.


****

Also this weekend, I totally ditched my kid at Tracy's for the entire day on Saturday while I drank bloody marys in Fells Point with Bonnie's crew. I also had a choir rehearsal, which, I must say, would have gone better if I hadn't indulged in the bloody. Live and learn.

Here are our girls goofing off and hamming it up for the camera.

16 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

Yum, banana bread. We told our mom's they need to send us bread so we can have a contest as to whose is the best. I would eat it for every meal - that was nice of her to bring for you!!

Anonymous said...

Your banana bread idea depresses me.

Also, this only works on young/gullible children, but you can put Dora (or whatever) stickers on a snack-size zip-top baggie, and put snacks in it. Voila!: Dora-approved celery sticks!

Katie said...

Don't worry, Swistle! If the banana bread super healthy version tastes bad, it will be quickly rejected! But. But!! If it tastes good? Then, I can eat the entire thing in one sitting and think I am HEALTHY! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, darn! I was planning to get you something that smells of lavender and vanilla. Guess I'll have to start car shopping!

I do have a GREAT idea for a cheap (free, in fact) babysitter who knows CPR! It will be a bit easier to provide this for you in Longhorn country.

Hooked 'Em - in the last play of the game! Anybody see it? (Of course, if they were nicer to ol' Bevo, UT wouldn't have such close calls!)

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on the Falling Back time thing with kids. Hello . . . noone seemed to give my child the memo. It is 9:45am and I am already trying to put him down for a nap b/c not only did the time change but the super early wake up gods were here this morning. Not a good combination. Ugh!

Tracy said...

I need a time machine that stops time. I would only do it in emergencies..oh who am I kidding, I would do it everyday. So here is the senario. I would put the kids down for a nap, stop time. Although, I could still move about. Then, I would take a nap, read a book, maybe scrapbook, then start time again. Then I would have all that done and I would still have nap time. That is on my wish list, could anyone point me to one of those?

The Quinn Report said...

It has been a long day and there is so much more I need to do and it's 8 pm here. Wurstfest did me in today. More to come on that!

Your banana bread looks yummy. That is also one of my favorite things that I should have put on my list!

Anonymous said...

Tracy,

Love that idea. The world will stop - be in complete suspension - for as long as it takes to get caught up! Once a week would be great!

A Goldsworthy Note said...

Mmm, let us know how that banana bread comes out! I just got the pampered chef stone with 4 bread molds so I can make bread and give more away. When I make it in the big mold Joe and I eat it all :0)
Hope your Christmas list works...and cute pictures of the girls.

Jen said...

Ooh, I love that sofa. I am so glad PB is not anywhere near me. I'd shop there all the time and then I'd be broke.

Sounds like a fun weekend! Banana bread. Choir practice. Hours without a toddler. Aaah.

Unknown said...

Katie,

Your mom told me about your blog and I have been visiting when I can find time. She is right, you are funny! I love your humor and I can relate more now that we have Maya. Becca is so cute. I love her pie making photos with grandpa.

Speaking of banana bread, I just made a muffin version. No sugar. I use Mott apple sauce and Mango sauce (Trader Joe's). Soy milk, wheat bran are other ingredients. I guess chocolate would be a good addition. In short, Maya ate them! I'll send recipe if you want.

Noo (& Steve Marin) Minnesota cousins now in Raleigh, NC

Unknown said...

I meant "Martin" cousins.

Erin said...

I love the pictures of all the girls. I found myself jealous just then of the fact that you & Tracy know each other in real life. Hmmm. Maybe I need to get myself some friends?

The falling back stuff is still better than springing forward if you ask me. They both SUCK though. No doubt about that. And now it's dark when I get home from work. How ridiculous is that? My saving grace was playing outside for an hour between getting home & dinner. I might not survive the winter.

Katie said...

Hey Noo! Thank you SO much for commenting! I'd love the recipe...it sounds very good!

Unknown said...

Here goes, Katie.
2 beaten eggs (I used egg beater), 2 c. nonfat buttermilk, 1/2 c. oil, 1 c. applesauce, 1 c. mango sauce (no suger added for these two), 2 c. flour, 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (for lighter muffin, make it with all regular flour), 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp seasalt, 1 1/2 -2 c. really ripe mash banana, 1 1/2 c. wheat bran, 1 tsp. banana flavoring (if you want). Add all in the order given. Oh, dark chocolate would be last to add. Bake 375 until top gets golden and when stick a wooden pick in it, it comes out clean. I used the silicone muffin pan. No need to spray, or you can. It is easier to take the muffin out. Otherwise leave to cool before you can pop them out.

I am not really a health nut but your cousin has cholesterol issue to watch.

I don't have your email so I am posting it here.

Katie said...

What is mango sauce? It sounds delish!

Also, my mom can send you my email (I don't post it on here!)