Monday, November 12, 2007

Longhorn Country

Yesterday around noon I started feeling down. John was supposed to be sitting reserve for three days (where I imagined him at home for an extended period of time, cleaning things and giving me back rubs and such...) but he was called in to fly for a 3 day trip. I felt irritated, snappish and annoyed.

So, I had a KRAZEE idea. Why not fly to Austin for a few days? No reason not to!

I dropped my dog off with Tracy (Thank you, Tracy, for watching our dog every other minute) and got into Austin late last night. Becca did well on the trip, with only one major meltdown that involved me trying to physically force her into her carseat while she was arching her back and screaming. Oh, the looks I got! But, she slept the entire second leg from Nashville. I read a whole magazine--granted it was the seatback pocket magazine. I don't even BRING anything to entertain myself anymore..... since I'm usually spending my time down on my hands and knees on the plane floor looking for the Play Doh lid and gagging at what I see down there.

Also--I am considering bringing back the Mom Jean. Because, LORD HAVE MERCY, I showed way too many people my muffin top and undergarments while on said Play Doh lid quest. My shirt was too short, my "diva cut" Old Navy jeans were too low and unwashed, making them baggy.... and it was NOT pretty. That's what happens when you just slap something on and pack a suitcase in 20 minutes.

But! Here I am! In Austin! Wearing flip flops! In November! Becca has already been out in the backyard swinging and digging up earth worms with Grandpa Jack. I am no longer snappish or grumpy. Nothing like a quick mood-altering drug: Grandparents.

18 comments:

Andrea_Ben said...

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO! Please do not start wearing mom jeans. There are plenty of mid-rise jeans out there (being high waisted low rise haven't really been a good option for me - ever) and short shirts are no longer the fashion (also not a good look for me)......thank god. Check out your local TJ max for some great jean options without spending a lot of money. It would be better to go without Becca since it takes some time to look around to find what you want but it is WORTH it!

A Goldsworthy Note said...

That's so cool that you were able to just get up and go to Austin like that. YEA for you :0)

The Quinn Report said...

Call me if you have any extra time this trip. I am determined to see you one of these days!!!!

Anonymous said...

Moooooo! Katie and Becca are in Longhorn Country!! We love it!

Too bad you two missed the big football game last Saturday - not that you could have seen me. Oh, no. Bevo is BANNISHED except for a few moments in the third quarter since my pasture has been converted to more seating. What you did miss was the announcement that a two-and-a-half MILLION dollar endowment has been established to ensure future propagation of my longhorn line. Hey - these folks don't get it - bulls offer stud services for free if ya just keep the humans out of it. Does this seem like misplaced energy?? At the same game came another announcement: two-and-a-half-thousand dollars will go to train seeing eye dogs help people in need. What is wrong with this picture? Oh, well - my half-brothers and I will continue to sit behind the stands for the forseeable future.

Brutus, ol pal, I was sorry to hear of your loss. I'm feeling your pain, too.

Hook 'Em!
Bevo

Anonymous said...

what is a muffin top?

-nic

Erin said...

Good for you! I bet your parents were so excited too.

Do not give in to the Mom jean temptation. It's a slippery slope! I mean, if you get the jeans, what's next?

A plastic bonnet over your hair since you just had it done last week? Hanging quilts on your walls, next to that ceramic plate which reads, "home is where the heart is"? Special holiday sweatshirts with turkeys and wreaths and stockings silk screened on them?

Angie said...

I totally understand about the temptation for mom jeans. I always hated the maternity pants that went over your belly, because the butt was that big, too. Why would you want your pregnant butt looking any bigger than necessary? But, my low rise maternity jeans are just getting a little sad with my ginormous belly, and bending over to help Ashlyn with something. And, I still have 6 -8 weeks to go!

And, I am so envious of your plane hopping abilities. I sooo married into the wrong service. I want a pilot husband, too! Maybe Allen could become a flight attendant. They get the same benefits, too, right? OMG, I am completely laughing at the thought of Allen pointing out the emergency exits. He would LOVE that job! (Erin's comment is cracking me up, too)

Katie said...

Don't worry, Y'all! I think Mom Jeans are hideous and I am way too cool to wear them! :) Although, I do have a quilt hanging on Becca's wall. Is that bad?

But, I am going to at least wear a belt and a long cardigan on the trip home! :)

Katie said...

Poor Bevo. People are just retarded--especially when it comes to sports, and especially when it comes to football, and ESPECIALLY in Texas! You should move north.

Tracy said...

I am totally addicted to the drug. GRANDPARENTS. It gives you such a high, I believe the high is also known as, happiness, contentment, not-so-frustrating, spirit-reguvinator(SP), taking a breath, sanity, and I could keep going, but you get the idea.

I really need to start flying more. Damn preschool. It is really starting to get in my way!

Seriously, mom jeans, it can't be THAT bad!

Hurry home, we miss you.

Tess said...

Yay, you're in Texas! I feel better already.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Yey. Grandparents! Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so envious. I want to decide on a whim to go to Austin, too.

Joel and Angela said...

That has got to be so nice to be able to just hop on a plane last minute on a whim! How long will you be here? If you are in SA come see us!
A

Jen said...

AWESOME. And that about sums up why I hope Tim will someday work for an airline.

Lysandra said...

Check out the boyfriend cut of jeans at American Eagle. Be reasonable.

Anonymous said...

I love that you did this. Spontaneous travel = exciting and fun.

Sioux said...

nic-
Muffin top = when pants cut into love handles and there is an "overhang", much like how a muffin's top expands over it's wrapper.