Thursday, January 17, 2008

Feeding the Ducks, and the Kid

Tuesday was Becca's VCUG procedure to check out her kidney/bladder function. She is fine.

The procedure went okay, if you consider lots of crying okay. They had to inject some solution up her ying-yang via catheter and then take about a hojillion X-rays of her bladder as it emptied. Poor Becca was lying on the table, lambie in one hand, an unlicked lollipop in the other, tears just streaming down her face as we told her to just go ahead and go potty. "The doctor wants you to go to potty." She just kept crying and saying "All done. All done." Ugh. I'm glad it is over. I'm really glad that it all looked fine and normal. When the doctor told me all was clear, I actually said, "Damn!"

I didn't mean that I wanted something to be wrong, I meant that I was so sorry I had subjected her to this procedure needlessly. Motherhood--nothing but guilt.

That wasn't the worst part for me. What was worse was they told me to have her fast beforehand. I collapsed in a snivelling heap, crying about how that will be impossible. My kid eats nonstop from sun-up to lunch. She can't just have water, when she is begging for food, real food. And, I understand because I have weird blood sugar and I wake up hungry. I mean, HUN-GRAY.
So, the doctor took pity on me and told me I could feed her four hours beforehand--and then not anything afterwards. This means I had to wake her up at 6 a.m. to feed her a giant breakfast of oatmeal, sausage and fruit. (Oh the confliction--wake up a sleeping child? Or go without food? I vote 'None of the Above!') Then, I had to keep her occupied and away from the pantry door for four hours. Easier said than done.

I had a brilliant idea! Let's go to a local pond and feed the ducks. We'll get out of the house and in the great outdoors! Great idea! Wow. I'm such an awesome mother. Except it was freeeezing cold. Cold enough to keep the muddy ground and duck poop all frozen. And windy. And Becca kept stuffing the bread in her poor, hungry little mouth. So, we ended up just driving around town for an hour. Hungry.

5 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

That sounds like it would be really difficult to go through, mostly for you since she is too young to remember. Just keep in mind, anything before 4 years old is 99.9% surely going out the window for her long term memory. The .1 % is only there because parents kept repeating it and they think they remember it. You will be more traumatized than her.

The Quinn Report said...

Uh, withholding food from any child has to be one of the worst things ever. What she had to go through sounds horrible; at least it's all over now!!

joanna said...

She looks sweet even when she's hungry!

Angie said...

Oh, I wouldn't have wanted to go through that any more than Becca did. Ugh.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. That just sounds brutal. Glad that you made it through.