Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Life is Good Again

Well, it was a sinus infection. And, after just two doses of antibiotics, suddenly the intense pressure on my skull lifted and the world looked much better again. Thank GOD.

John and Jane arrived yesterday evening in the midst of a lovely freezing rain/ice storm. I drove home at a snail's/grandma's pace and we did just fine on the roads....until we got to our street, which was just a solid ice sheet. I turned the corner, our house in view, and there we went...slip slip slipping into the curb. No harm done.

I pulled into our driveway, which is on a slope, and put the car in park. I put on the parking brake and watched my father-in-law get out of the car and instantly go flinging backwards. From behind the car somewhere I heard, "Katie! Your car is moving backwards! It is solid ice out here." And, he was right. My car, in park, with the emergency brake on was moving!!! It was sliding backwards into the street (as was my father-in-law, who managed to stay on his feet, somehow). Even when I jammed the brake down, I couldn't stop the backwards slide of the car!

It was like parking on an ice rink, tilted up at an angle. No hope! We really could have laced up some skates and done a few triple toe loops there in front of our house.

Despite living in Alaska for four years, I never, ever experienced anything like that! I did somehow get the car into the garage and we all survived....but whew! I am still kind of traumatized for some reason.

I love having company and Becca, of course, is in hog heaven with all the attention. Jane and John got up with her this morning at 6:30 and let us sleep in until 8:45 a.m.! And, somehow I STILL took a 3 hour nap this afternoon. Hmmmm. Love to sleep. They are going to watch Becca while John and I go to Louisville, Kentucky tomorrow for an overnight getaway. I think the last time he and I flew away together alone was in 2004. I am really looking forward to relaxing and checking out a new city! I will update when I return! Have a fun Valentine's Day and try not to retch at the sight of all that pink and red together (barf.)

10 comments:

The Quinn Report said...

Have a great time too! Can't wait to hear about your trip when you return!

Anonymous said...

Have fun! ;D

Anonymous said...

Car sliding on ice - my recurring nightmare!

Bevo

Andrea and Ben said...

Boo on the sinus infection, but glad it is getting better. Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Don Mills Diva said...

Have a wonderful time - glad to hear you're feeling better.

Jen said...

There is nothing quite like a near accident to make me freak out and feel exhausted for at least a day. All that adrenaline! I'm glad you were all okay.

Have a fun trip! That sounds awesome!

Kayris said...

I am SO done with winter. Glad you feel better!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your car slid down the driveway. . . that's hilarious but freaky at the same time. I hope it warms up soon.

Anonymous said...

I had fun fishtailing all the way back from the grocery store last night, and then slipping on the black ice embedded into my front steps. Winter fun, but no sliding SUV...

A Goldsworthy Note said...

Holy cow...how scary...the car thing. Have fun of y'alls trip.