Oh my, y'all. I have a new Most Embarrassing Moment (we'll have to discuss the past winners in another entry). This one is really a doozy.
Becca and I left the house at 8:30 this morning to go run errands. I had been super productive, doing laundry, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, setting up the crockpot for dinner. We were out for a few hours. When we returned I opened the door to the house and was met with a horrid burning smell and some mild smoke. Canyon was sitting there looking up at me with big sad eyes as if to say, "You left me all alone in this fume-filled tomb?" I quickly ran around the house trying to see if I could see where the smoke and odors were coming from. Y'all, it smelled BAAAAAAD. I sniffed the dryer, the furnace.....I sniffed the crockpot. I opened the back door to air it out. I couldn't figure it out. I started to worry about inhaling dangerous fumes while pregnant. So, I got us all outside and in the car and then I calmly called 911 and said, "I really don't think this is an emergency, but I can't find the source of this burning smell and smoke and I'm not sure who I'm supposed to call."
They sent THREE fire trucks, with sirens blaring. About 10 firemen came rushing out with full hats, hatches and oxygen tanks...the whole shebang! Then, they came out with this.
A plastic plate burned on the dishwasher heating element.
Then, oh, then.....the best part happened. The fireman was showing me the plate and I happened to look up into the sky where I saw an A-10 flying towards us. "Oh no," I said to the fireman as I pointed up in the sky. "Here comes my husband." John FLEW OVER THE HOUSE while all three fire trucks were parked outside. Ummmmm, honey? I'm sorry, but you married a complete spazoid, as if you didn't already know.