Monday, March 03, 2008

The World's Most Perfect Comfort Food


Oh, my darlings. You must absolutely try this recipe....especially those of you who have never heard of cheese grits. Just don't contemplate the fat content. One cannot think of such trivial details when enjoying what might be the most heavenly concoction known to humankind. I have always loved grits, and I have always loved melting cheese in them while cooking. But, until last November in South Carolina, I had never tasted shrimp and grits. I modified the recipe a bit, adding more garlic to the shrimp and cheese to the grits. Recently, I have just been cooking the grits portion and eating it all in one sitting. It is that good. Behold the perfection.

Shrimp and Cheese Grits

1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined

1 cup heavy cream (can use half and half)

2 cups water

1 1/2 cups hot stock (shrimp, chicken, or vegetable)

1/4 cup butter (can use less)

Salt and black pepper to taste

1 cup stone-ground grits* (these are hard to find, you can use the quick cooking ones, just follow the directions for reducing the liquids below)

Shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese--NOT pre-shredded! (to taste...I like about a cup or so)

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Salt and black pepper to taste

8 bacon slices

Half an onion, finely chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons finely chopped green or red bell pepper

* If using quick-cooking grits (not instant), reduce cream to 1/2 cup and reduce stock to 1 cup.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine cream, water, and hot stock; bring to a gentle boil. Add butter, salt, and pepper. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly (so that the grits do not settle to the bottom and scorch), until all are added reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (be carefully not to scorch mixture), or until the grits are tender. Add cheese, stir, and get it all melted together. Grits should have absorbed all of the liquid and become soft and should have the same consistency as oatmeal (moist, not dry). If the grits become too thick, add warm stock or water to thin. Remove from heat.

Sprinkle shrimp with lemon juice, salt, and pepper; set aside. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until brown but not crisp. Remove from heat and pat dry with paper towels; set aside. Coarsely chop bacon when cool. Reserve the bacon grease in the frying pan. Add onion, garlic, and green or red bell pepper; sauté 10 minutes or until the onion is transparent. Add shrimp mixture and bacon; sauté about 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and curled (does not take very long). Remove from heat. To serve, spoon hot grits onto individual serving plates and top with shrimp mixture.
Makes 4 servings.

12 comments:

Don Mills Diva said...

Bacon, cheese, butter, and heavy cream - all my favorite food groups - oh my!

Andrea and Ben said...

mmmm, minus the bacon I might want to make this for dinner one day this week! It sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

Danger, Will Robinson!

Jamie said...

That looks delicious!

Andrea and Ben said...

I just made this for dinner. I personally would probably like it better with lots more veggies and no bacon (I used turkey), maybe no shrimp. it was DELICIOUS, but I am partial to lots of veggies. I think cheese grits are my new favorite food!!!

The Quinn Report said...

Thanks, we'll have to give it a whirl!

Katie said...

Andrea, You are DEFINITELY not a southern girl. More veggies and no bacon? GAH! (Definitely would be healthier, though!)

MaryB said...

Shrimp and Grits is one of my all time favorite foods ever! Even people who say that they do not like grits love it (i.e. my husband who HATES grits).

Yum-Yum!

Joel and Angela said...

Did you make THESE grits??? That looks like a pic out of a magazine! You should submit that! I love cheese grits!!! Joel doesn't like grits, but will eat my cheese grits. But next time I am gonna try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
A

Anonymous said...

Eat more bacon!

Katie said...

Angela, I did NOT take that picture....I wish I had! I was too busy eating the ones I made to bother with a camera!!

Unknown said...

I was just thinking that I'd make this when my husband was on one of his trips. However, after reading comments, I may give it a whirl sooner (he hates grits)! My mother just sent me some sharp and extra sharp cabot cheese. Now I have a dish to use the cheese in!