Sunday, May 04, 2008

Wimpy

Thank you all for your words of advice on the whole "not worrying" thing. I'm doing pretty well not worrying but I think it is because I am just exhausted and worn down from being out every night singing until 11:30 p.m. I mean, you KNOW if I had more time to think, I would totally be freaking out and doing hours of Internet research on cordocentesis, right? But no. I am normally HOURS into my nighttime sleep by 11:30 p.m. What do they think I am? Twenty-seven or something? Geez. Some of us old preggo geezers can't stay up past 10. And, that is after spending two hours on the couch, eating pickles and olives and watching TV. Certainly not standing around in dress clothes under hot lights belting out high Bs.

So, today, during our fourth concert, I almost barfed and/or passed out on stage. I couldn't decide which was more likely to happen. I had that sudden Wall of Nausea that seems to attack pregnant women with no warning. It came complete with some contractions, the sweats, the shakes and the dizziness. (I know. Wah. Poor me.) I was standing up there, in the midst of the orchestra and all the singers belting it out and I couldn't decide what to do. Sit down? Walk off stage? Just stand there and sway, waiting to barf? I chose the latter. Because I am gutsy. Actually, it was because I am not gutsy. Walking off stage would have been gutsy. I was paralyzed by the thought of doing that. I just couldn't do it.

The audience knows Carmina Burana is an exciting concert. I figured it might just get even more exciting. Thankfully nothing happened, but it was a terrible feeling. I don't think the bass drum player would have appreciated a mid-concert surprise.

And now, I'm considering playing the "pregnant" card and getting out of some of the singing this week. I went in on Friday because of all the Braxton Hicks contractions and my doctor did tell me I need to not be running around doing so much. But, I feel like a quitter if I do that. I am always the responsible one. I arrive early. I don't flake out. But, really.....I am not sure I can take another week of staying up late and standing for hours....But yet....I probably could. I am able to nap most days.

Do you think I should flake out for once? Or, do you think I should buck up, gird my loins and keep on going?

In other news:
Nothing. There is no other news. The end. Check back next week! I gotta go rustle up some green olives.

10 comments:

Tracy said...

i think you are a trooper! I think you should do half of the concerts.

justme said...

you are not a wimp and if you stop and rest you and your baby that doesn't make you a wimp. i think we all think that about ourselves, but hoenstly the doct is telling you that FOR a REASON. i know many a folk who were told to take it slow and didn't and it caused problems (nothing serious) not to scare you, but listen to your body and your doc. rest, there will always be more time for concerts.

that is just my thougths. if you choose to push through, i say more power to ya. only you know what you and your bod can handle. good luck, i hope this didn't sound assvicey

joanna said...

There is nothing wimpy about taking care of yourself. The contractions and nauseau wouldn't be normal in one of my pregnancies... only you know you. Don't do more than you can handle just to show you can. (Cause we know you can!) You have to do what's right for you (and baby).

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Take care of Katie! YOU ARE NOT A WIMP!!! You are an absolutely amazing woman who I admire and feel very fortunate to call a friend. I want you and baby number 2 to be safe... So do what ever you need to do. Listen to what your body is telling you and tell that crazy ass woman on your shoulder to shut up because you need to rest.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jamie - shut up old devil on your shoulder. You are not a flake when you stop somthing due to health reasons. Hello. We are talking about the well being of your baby and you for goodness sake. Seems like a no brainer to me. It's already obvious that the baby is under stress from the virus, so why add to it. Chill out, prop up those feet and pop open a new jar of olives. Oprah needs some new viewers.

The Quinn Report said...

I think you need to do what's best for YOU! If your body is telling you that it's tired, then by all means, SLOW DOWN! I think what you've accomplished thus far is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Stay home, eat chicken, and rest!

Katie said...

CHICKEN!??? BEVO, you did NOT just say "chicken" to a pregnant woman. Now I'm gagging! Sorry....but it is beef all the way when I'm "with child."

Anonymous said...

Oops! I meant green olives!

Don Mills Diva said...

I don't think you could be considered a wimp for bowing out - you don't need to prove anything to anyone - just look after yourself...