Saturday, October 18, 2008

New Parenting Skill Acquired

I should never tell people that things are going well. Why do I do that? Because the last hour has been a bit, well....hellish. Hellish that is, if you define hell as being trapped with a contrary child who will. not. do. what. you. tell. her. ever. ever. everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. And this same child seems to think timeout is hilarious and watch this, Mom! I will just go upstairs while you aren't watching. Or, I'll just come running out of timeout laughing hysterically. Which, yea, I count as hellish.

Although, on the bright side, I just learned a new parenting skill. It is called "Carrying a 35-pound toddler up the stairs while wearing the baby in a front carrier because timeout isn't a strong enough punishment and the kid has to go to her room and she isn't getting dessert either." Isn't that an awesome skill? Not so much the withholding of dessert (which is too bad for her because it is yummy peppermint ice cream), but the carrying of BOTH children up the stairs simultaneously when I'm not supposed to do any heavy lifting for 2.5 more weeks. But wow! That adrenaline can really surge at times...

Only 1.5 hours until bedtime. Only 1.5 hours until bedtime....repeat, repeat, repeat....

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Well, over here they were acting so wild and would not calm down that I made them run around the house 5 or 6 times. How's that for parenting?

Tracy said...

oh it gets better. I was tired of them NOT cleaning up, so I set a timer and told them when the timer went off anything still on the floor was going in the trash.. See you can sink a lot lower! (it did the trick. There was nothing on the floor)

Laura said...

Get used to it my friend. It won't be the last time you lug both kids up the stairs at the same time, trust me.

And Bo has been driving me insane doing the exact same thing . . .not listening. It drives me crazy!! I tell him no, or ask him to do something and he does the opposite. Uggghhhh!

And for time outs, we turned the door knob around on the door to his bedroom and I lock him in there for a few minutes. I then make him tell me what he did wrong before he can come out.

Good luck.