Friday, January 02, 2009

I Used to Be Organized, and In Control

Then, I had kids. And that shit just went OUT. THE. WINDOW.

So, this year I am taking it back. I am taking back control (ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! Stop laughing at me you evil people!)

Seriously. My New Year's Resolutions are the following:

First, and most importantly, I am going to stop coasting along, trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Instead I want to get a grip and take back some control over my life. This sounds very vague, but for some reason just saying "Get control!" to myself, seems to help me make better parenting decisions. (Or, possibly worse ones, but I will feel more confident about them as I sing "I've got the powahhhh" in my head.) And it also helps me get a bit more control over the household CRAP. Today I organized the toys. Every toy now has a bin. And every bin has a label with the words and pictures of what is in them. It rules. I want to french kiss those gorgeous pink plastic bins.
Getting control also means doing, at the very minimum, one item on my on-going To-Do list a day. And, if I don't do it? No Internet time. This might very well suck. This rule might make me do something rash like paint a wall before I can blog. And because I'll be rushing, it will be an even more hideous color than it was before. Also, I might very well break this rule immediately.

Secondly, I am going to eat more fish. This was my resolution back in 2001. And it worked pretty well for a while. Then, I quit and haven't quite gotten back to it due to being pregnant (I'm looking at you fish farms and your mercury contamination) and also due to being out of the habit. So, I'm jumping back on the fish wagon (Ew. How nasty would a fish wagon smell?Probably almost as bad as out outdoor Korean market where the fish was just out. In the sun. Without ice. Yummy.) So, fish at least once a week. Preferrably wild caught. And preferrably refrigerated.

Thirdly, I am going to learn how to take better photos and how to use the manual settings on my camera. Like, what the hell is aperture and how does it apply to me?

So, in summation. I resolve: Control. Fish Wagon. Camera for Dummies. I will check back in June and see how I'm doing. That entry should be a real kick in the pants.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Go for it Katie! And what the hell wall is here left to paint in your house? Thought the paint saga was done over there? I'm actually in the midst of painting baby's room. Finally lit a fire under Neal's a*@ the other day and he taped for me, so today I caulk, tomorrow a sitter comes and I paint. Have been assured by the folks at Sherwin-Williams that one coat of the uber paint will do it. God help them if it doesn't. We're running out of time over here poeple! By the way, did I tell you how big this baby already is? At 35 weeks? Sorry for the complete ramble.

Angie said...

I have the same plans for toys. I wanted to go through the toys and weed out the crap before Christmas, but I just ran out of time. We are moving too soon to manage the organizing thing, though I will weed out the junk before we move.

Maybe the to-do list shouldn't have to be an every day thing, maybe just every other day or a couple of times a week.

Unknown said...

My sister sent me labels for toys like that a while back. Even ones with sign language signs on them. I lost them. She had laminated them for me and everything. Do I suck or what?! Way to go with getting it done so soon into the New Year.

Anonymous said...

I hope we Yap watchers hear from you before June, as the new rules sound like we may never see another Yap blog!!

Good luck, and c'mon up for a sauna!!

Swistle said...

I have never---never---cooked fish. Never. And the dumb thing is, I LOVE fish. It's one of my favorite things to order at a restaurant. But every time I go anywhere that sells RAW fish for ME to cook, I get too squicked out to even buy any. Isn't that weird? Considering I routinely buy packages of raw ground-up turkey and slabs of raw chicken?

Tracy said...

Oh girl this post is singing to me. Those buckets.. ALMOST HAD ME IN TEARS WITH JOY! I will go to bed dreaming of them. Can we come over so we can clean up!?? Oh and the fish, me too! Check out Schwans wild caught Salmon. Next best thing to Alaskan off the end of the fishing line salmon. We eat it OFTEN (I can get you some next time he comes if you want?) And the internet time? Girl have you completely lost your mind? I sure hope feed Andrew and say hi to Becca are on that to do list..(you know then you will have something done off of your list first thing in the morning?? Oh never mind!) Good luck with the resolutions...

To quote my Caitie who got it from a Mickey D's commerical, "go katie, go katie, go go go katie"

okay, maybe Ive had too much coffee today!

The Quinn Report said...

The Buckets....just what I'm in desperate need of!

Andrea_Ben said...

I don't make resolutions so i don't disappoint myself.

Jen said...

That picture of the Korean market takes me back! Oh, the smell. Ick.