Sunday, September 20, 2009

If There's No Queso in Heaven, I Don't Wanna Go

Oh dear. Hi, Readers. Are you still out there? Have I turned into one of those people who post so infrequently and then come back to say "Oh! Sorry it has been so long!"...and then continues on not posting? Damn. I am usually so verbose and anxiety-ridden that I can't go more than a couple days without blogging about some kind of germ-fest or another. Or some kind of nap-strike that has me losing my sanity.

Anyway. I've been busy (LAME excuse and so overused). The kids and I went to Austin for a few days because John was "deployed" to Florida. I really have a problem using that word, but evidently the Guard considers it an actual "deployment" (snort!) even though it involves beach-front accomodations in Florida. After considering my alternatives, which included lots of me hanging around the house yelling at the kids....I came to my senses. I packed them up and headed down to my parents' house.


We had a blast doing pretty much NOTHING. Well, I did pretty much nothing. Becca and my dad were quite busy. One morning I woke up at 7:45 a.m. and came out to hear that they had already been swinging, had soft-boiled eggs in egg cups, fed the worms, watered the garden and baked a pie. All before 8 a.m. A match made in pre-dawn heaven, those two.

Andrew mostly just wandered around whining and wiping snot on everything and not sleeping. He did discover my dad's hat collection with much glee, however.
As for me, I ate queso for every possible meal, with an enchilada thrown in every once in a while for good measure. I saw friends, neighbors and my sister. I got to go to Chuy's with Ashley where I somehow ended up without my credit cards--and she had to pay for her own birthday lunch (Klassy!) I had a girls' night with Meg--grown up style, with beverages, sweat pants and bedtimes before midnight. I also took the best nap ever in a quiet room, with a ceiling fan, a white noise machine, a temper-pedic mattress and a gripping book while my mom took charge of the kids. Heaven. Pure heaven.

9 comments:

Angie said...

Deployment to Florida? No, no. It still is more time he is away from his family, though. I'm glad that you went to Texas. It sounds great. Every time you write about the food when you are home, you have me hungry. I think I need to go to Austin with you. You can show me where to eat!

The Quinn Report said...

R u a Trudy's fan??? I've never been, but have heard that I am truly missing out! Glad you were able to make it out here!!!

Marie Green said...

Oh, that does sound wonderful! And I've been to Chuy's!

Re: H1N1- I sorta hope that our family gets it right away. Let's just get it over with, and have the natural immunities in place before it mutates or whatevs. Accounts of people having it around here have been surprisingly mild, and since I send my kids away every day all day to public school, I figure it's not "if" but "when". Wouldn't it be great to have it and be DONE with it?

Anyway, that maybe is NOT a helpful attitude for you.

Bevo said...

Loved your visit! Our grandkids are the cutest and sweetest EVER!

word verification: pleeahbleeuh

Katie said...

Marie,
I TOTALLY have started feeling that same way...that it is inevitable. Yuck!

Meg said...

Love you!!! Miss you!!!

Jen said...

That sounds amazing. Especially the sleeping part.

sgtsharp said...

Airforce doesnt deploy, Marines Deploy
I was wondering where you went too.

Word verification:nesswe

Jen said...

It's so great that you are able to visit your family so often.

And I agree on the whole deployment to Florida. Silly. What happened to deployments being like big long trips overseas? Not that we want those, but let's call a TDY a TDY, eh?