Thursday, October 12, 2006

That's the thing about fantasies...

Back when I was employed, and doing what I considered to be drudgery, I looked forward to the days when I could stay at home with my children....I would sit in a dreamy haze picturing myself gleefully polishing the coffee table, sweeping the floors, scrubbing the toilet. Because all of those tasks would be so much better than doing actual WORK, right? What, I asked my friends who were staying at home with babies, do you do all day? I mean...they had all those hours to get stuff done around the house. Gee, I thought, that must be really luxurious. I imagined the warm smell of baking cookies wafting through my clean house while I read a novel in a cozy and tidy living room while my child sat, contentedly playing, neatly at my feet.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Yea, right. Luckily for me, I have this little face smiling at me while I hack on the smoke billowing from the oven, trip over a plastic block, and slip in the puddle emanating from the dog's overturned water bowl.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

14 comments:

Angie said...

I love this post! I did somehow think that I would get more done while my child slept. Doesn't happen.

Lysandra said...

I agree with Angie. I too thought it would be no problem to get stuff done around the house. That is after all what naps are for. I think that people who talk smack about stay at-home-mom are not moms (either working or stay-at-home) yet. Just give them a few years, then sit back and laugh!

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud when I got to the picture of the burnt cookies. Great post.

Jen said...

I laughed at the burnt cookies, too! And I feel a little guilty about all those times I wondered what moms do all day. Especially when I looked at their messy houses and thought, gee, they ought to stop relaxing all the time and clean up a little...

Jen said...

P.S. I love the red shirt and overalls. Red is a great color on Becca.

Anonymous said...

Hey, is that a stoneware baking sheet? I thought you weren't supposed to be able to burn anything on those. You are good. :)

Katie said...

Well, if you leave the cookies in the oven during the entire course of a baby's bath and bedtime routine, only to emerge from the nursery to plumes of smoke...THEN, you can burn things on the stoneware!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm feelin ya...I used to look forward to the day I could be a SAHM and only worry about my own kid instead of 24 others. Now I'm wondering what kind of crack I was smoking. I thought I would be able to start selling hand painted glassware. Shit, I'd be lucky to get a smiley face on a friggin shot glass at this point.

The Quinn Report said...

I agree with all of you. It's a good day if I can get a shower in! Is anyone else feeling me here? It is after 4 pm here and I just got my teeth brushed---GROSS!

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Love this post!! And believe it or not, it made me want cookies. I am going to go make some right now. The only problem is that even without a baby I will more than likely burn them. Maybe this time I will actually set the timer. Miss ya.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Hey I didn't burn them!! Yey! I have had 2 no burnt cookie experiences in a row. I am on a roll. Watch out!

Joel and Angela said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!! I can't stop laughing at all the pictures you have caught!!! She and Luke would make such a huge mess together!!!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Wes thinks we SAHMs just sit around and talk about vaginas all day but that is so not true. And I feel your pain with the cookies. Baking sucks now that Bo's around. Nothing ever turns out right but my mishaps are usually from getting distracted when reading the directions or measuring or something. A lot of cookies in the trash.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

"Talk about vaginas all day." Hilarious!!