Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Note from the 'Burbs

I'm afraid we've moved into land of the Stepford Landscaping Husband. There seems to be a bit of pressure to have a perfect looking yard. Actually, this is one of the things that most attracted me to this neighborhood. Every single house had a well-tended yard. I guess I just figured if we moved in, ours would magically manicure itself while we sat in lawn chairs drinking beer, landscaping fairies flying about our heads.

Turns out it doesn't quite work that way. Dammit. John got tired of hearing me bitch and moan about how ours is the worst yard on the block and could we please, please buy a lawn mower this weekend? (I'm not currently recognizing this version of myself.)

The guy across the street has already weed whacked our entire yard for us. The guy next door just gave us an extra edger he had laying around. And edger? What is that? It might be a distant cousin to the weed whacker or something. Why would you have an extra edger? We really aren't the type to know what to do with things like edgers.

So, really, our yard is kind of taking shape while we sit around drinking beer. Maybe our neighbors are actually the lawn fairies?!

The house is great. We love the house. The screened in porch might just be the World's Greatest Invention. I think they should be mandatory on every house! The yard is a bit small and on a hill and we are verrrry close to our neighbors. To get a newer house in this market for our price range, that is just what we were going to get. I've taken to fantasizing about ways to make it more flat and private--hedgerows, fences, retaining walls. Ahhhh...if you had shown me this post 12 years ago I would have LAUGHED at you and asked you where the tequila was. (I may still do that.)

Becca is doing quite well in her new settings. She still gets up at the ass-crack of dawn every day, no matter what I do to try to stop her. She is sleeping a lot more at night than she has in a while, though, so that is great. She loves standing at the side window and saying "Hi!" to the neighbors about 50 times a minute.
I've kind of quit unpacking because I'm sick of it, and most everything we NEED is already unpacked. So, Becca has exactly two pairs of pajamas that aren't wintery fleece. John was putting her to bed the other night and yelled down to ask me where her pajamas were. I yelled back up that he should just improvise. When I got her up the next morning, this is what she had on:
Mama's tee shirt!

8 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

Becca looks so cute in your t-shirt! I am glad you are loving your house and that your neighbors are being so helpful. Maybe if you neglect your yard enough they really will become the yard ferries!

A Goldsworthy Note said...

Ahhh, yard ferries...that sure does sound nice. If it happens tell them to send friends over to my place. :0) Oh, and the Becca pajamas...too funny!

Erin said...

But you must have unpacked the boxes of Beccas Cute Dresses, because dang, those photos make me want to have a GIRL. Good thing I'm scheduled for Boy #2 instead, because I'd go broke on cute little girl clothes.

The Quinn Report said...

Becca looks like such the little adult already---especially in your shirt-OMG. I just showed Andrew and he said " OMG, she looks so much older than she is...crazy!"

Adorable, adorable, adorable--just like Mama!

Jen said...

Ha! Love it. The yard fairies, your t-shirt as jammies for Becca, the fact that she waves 'hi' to everyone passing by.

Lysandra said...

She is just the prettiest thing. I love the last picture! Michael waves to everyone too and sometimes to cars passing by. I kind of feel bad for him when people don't wave back. I know that's dumb but I do.

Angie said...

I think we might have an extra edger, which is really sad because we haven't needed an edger in the past three homes.

Hey, you told John to improvise!

april said...

Hilarious! I am always amazed by the outfits that Michael comes up with when he is in charge. It looks like he just closes his eyes and reaches into the drawer and grabs whatever! LOL