Saturday, November 11, 2006

Snot, Snuggles, Stupid Car

Becca is sick. Big cold, cough, hoarse, pathetic...you name it. Saturday she didn't even eat one bite of dinner, and that is how I knew she was really feeling awful. That is the first meal she has ever skipped in her whole life. She wouldn't drink or nurse either. She just let the snot pour from her nose and she croaked out a hoarse cry and fell asleep on my shoulder as I was rocking her.

That is also a first. I sat there and rocked her feeling her head resting on my shoulder and breathing into her sweet, soft neck. And, as sorry as I felt for her, I was so very happy that she let me have that moment with her. I miss feeling those sweet little baby cheeks sleeping against my chest. She has always been a curious baby and as soon as she could start holding up her head, she never fell asleep on me like that again.

My car is also sick. The car with the 4-wheel drive and studded tires that I totally need to keep me from sliding off into a ditch. Yes, that one. It keeps randomly overheating. Will someone please tell me how a car can overheat when it is 25 degrees BELOW zero? Hmmmmmm? Bastard. And, while it is overheated and all the cockpit alarm bells are going off, the heater stops working and starts blowing out cold air. You know what that means....doom and gloom.

Somehow, somehow, this stuff only happens when John is out of town. John, who when we got married declared himself to be in charge of the outside chores and maintaining the cars. So far this fall, I have taken our two cars in for various repairs a total of THREE TIMES. That is 6 trips back and forth. He was there for one of them. So, I have made 5 trips back and forth with the car seat, the baby, the broke-ass cars, waiting for the shuttle driver, installing the car seat, hauling it back out, etc. Oy vey.

We have a busy week planned this week: lots of social lunches, squadron meetings and...oh yea...I'm starting back to work tomorrow. I will be able to work from home, which might end up being the worst thing ever, but I'm going to give it a try.

7 comments:

Angie said...

I hope that Becca is feeling better. They are awfully snuggly when they are sick, though.

Anonymous said...

Acorns don't fall far from the tree... as soon as you became aware of your surroundings, forget the snuggling!! You were way too curious - had to see what was going on all the time! Yes - tightly wound since 1975!

The Quinn Report said...

Can't wait to hear about you going back to work. I know you'll do a great job keeping us posted! I wish you all the best!

Andrea and Ben said...

Sorry Becca is not feeling great, that stinks. I too look forward to hearing about your from home job experience. Keep us posted! Let us know if you need any help with the car, we get back on wednesday.

Lysandra said...

The best thing you can do about work is to try. It will be fine, especially if you are going to do it from home. Becca's cough was not that bad today. She will be great.

Erin said...

Sorry about Becca. The way you described her (never skipping a meal; always moving and exploring) really sounds like my son. I can imagine I'd be worried too if he wasn't doing those things.

Good luck with work. The first week is always the hardest. Good for you to give it a go!

Jen said...

So how did returning to work go? Did you get much done while she was awake, or did you mostly work during naps and bedtime?

Hope Becca feels better soon. It is nice that they cuddle when they're sick, but that's about the only nice thing!