Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tales from the Crib

Dude. What is UP with my kid only napping when her DADDY is taking care of her? I spend every waking minute of her life with her, but when I want just a few hours of precious peace and quiet to read a book in bed surrounded by piles of rose petals, goassamer bed linens and a personal masseuse bringing me some champagne before my massage, all she does is stand in her crib and YELL at me?
But, when her daddy has just a few hours to spend all alone with her, playing, having burping contests, wrestling and doing whatever it is daddies do, what does she do? All together now: NAP! For almost 3 hours!

On Saturday, I had a baby shower and a haircut appointment, so I scampered off to be all alone. Well, by alone, I mean surrounded by 15 women. But, in my book, these days, that is alone. Seeing as how I was not in charge of making sure anyone fell down the stairs, other than myself, of course, and I was not in charge of sniffing anyone's ass to see if they need new britches, including my own, I was definitely in solitary mode. Add to that the feast of junkfood and a glass of wine in a living room overlooking the frozen river and you have.....a good afternoon. And clean britches.

Now, you know when you walk into a salon and every single person in the salon, either working there, or customers, male or female, all have the exact same chunky red, brown and blond highlights circa 1999, or Kelly Clarkson, that you may not be in for the best haircut of your life.

I quickly changed to "just a haircut, please." When he persisted with the, "So you don't want any highlights? No touch of color?" I just rolled my eyes and said, "Hell to the NO." He didn't look gay enough to touch my color (so to speak). Luckily, with my current hair style [see also: Heavily Bedraggled], it is hard to really screw up. Much.

While I was out, John took Becca to look for a toy boat for the bathtub. This is what they found. Two seconds out of the package, the poor guy started losing body parts at an alarming rate.

I wonder if it is called "Differently Abled Kayaker." Might be hard to hold a paddle/oar thingy with no hands. Just sayin'.

About 5 hours later, I breezed in, all coiffed and relaxed, expecting to see John stumbling down the stairs, whiny toddler clinging to his pant legs, the house in a shambles, looking all frazzled and crazed (so, basically, the way I feel by 5 p.m. every day). I envisioned walking in, taking over and telling him to go take a break and relax while I take care of the baby and clean the house and stand on my head doing the ironing or something. Instead, I walked in to a silent house, husband out frolicking in the snow with the dog. "Shhhhh," he said. "She's still sleeping."

9 comments:

Lysandra said...

I hate that Mike does the same thing for Scott! UUGGG!

Anonymous said...

good girl Becca!

Anonymous said...

I had really envisioned giving Becca a tugboat or some other cool boat (maybe one with a motor :) However, the Walmart in Alaska only had the boat mentioned in this blog....WTF Walmart! How are you the biggest, baddest, flea market distributor and you can't even stock one type of bathtup boat...Oh well...Also, while I am on a roll here, I have to tell you all about the baths that my wife gives Becca. While Becca's momma is superb in everyway possible, she puts only a trickle of water in the tub for poor Becca. The volume of water is about the equivalent of a straw full of water. I ventured into tub-land the other day and all I hear is the sound of skin rubbing against the bathtub rim (you know that weird sounding screeching noise). Poor Becca was flailing in a PUDDLE in her bathtub. So I decided to fill that tub up to fun-kid level and put some bubbles in it...Well Becca proceeded to scream at the sight of the bubbles and yell for Ma-Ma...Ok so I don't put bubbles in there anymore but Becca now has boat racing/derby water level in her tub...Now if I could just find a cool boat!

Andrea and Ben said...

You two are hilarious....you can't really be making all of this stuff up, or can you :0) I love the kayak man. Its not like Becca could swallow the little parts or anything....Walmart only carries the finest quality!!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Walmart, your fam and friends in Austin participated in the protest to keep a Super Walmart with a three-story parking garage out of our residential neighborhood. Traffic is almost at a standstill in that area of Anderson Lane already - what are they thinking?? We don't have enough shopping???

The Quinn Report said...

It's the opposite for us. Yesterday, I came home from the gym and Salem had driven Andrew to drink....During the middle of the day!

Oh, and she shit out her pants and on to her daddy. HILARIOUS!

Angie said...

Yeah, I don't think Allen has the greatest time when I am gone, either. He has determined that he could NOT be a stay at home dad. Actually, what he said was that he could be a stay at home dad as long as we had a maid and the kids went to day care. So, basically he could stay at home by himself and do nothing around the house.

Angie said...

Oh, and didn't they used to try to make highlights look natural? What happened to that look?

Anonymous said...

Maybe she would sleep if she cuddled up next to you in the big bed? Or if you read to her while cuddled up on bed or sofa? If she's afraid that she'll miss something while she sleeps, being in the center of attention might make her feel that she's not missing anything. Hmmm...I suppose, now that she's ambulatory, she could just wander off while you fall asleep on the sofa.

Reading usually put Jonathan to sleep. Sometimes, after I'd read to him for 20 minutes or so, I would just sit in the darkened nursery, reading a grown-up book (silently) by flashlight, until he actually fell asleep. If I tried to leave the room before he was completely asleep, he'd wake up and cry; but as long as I was there (even though silent), he would lie quietly in his crib.

It's worth a try! However, this too shall pass. In fact, in a couple of years she won't take naps at all!

Love,
(Great) Aunt Linda