Friday, July 20, 2007

Celebrating Maryland Style

We went out last night to celebrate our anniversary. John planned it and gave me a choice of going to downtown Baltimore or going out into horse country. You can probably guess from the photo which one I chose. We went to a place called the Manor Tavern where after ordering a bottle of pinot noir and cups of crab bisque, I had the Preakness Sirloin (covered in carmelized onions and blue cheese) and John ordered the crab pasta. I totally won. Mine was awesome. We finished up with some kind of apple strueselly thing with ice cream and caramel sauce. I wish we had taken that photo BEFORE I had gorged myself, and started marinating in the wine. Also, my hand was covering a spot on John's shirt where he spilled something and I deftly tried dousing him in water to fix it.

We came home to find our babysitter watching HGTV. A 14 year old!? What the hell? She had cleaned up and organized Becca's toys (which have since been demolished again). Maybe next time she will finish decorating our house. Not bad for 8 bucks and hour.

We have started calling landscapers because we just can't hang with this Stepford Yard thing on our street. Our neighbor's 4 year old daughter told me I needed to get rid of that weed under my car. There was practically a bush sprouting up between the cracks in the driveway. Her mom told me they mowed our yard for us last week when we were at the beach. Call me paranoid, but I think her parents might be talking about how bad our yard looks.

So, John was out there trying to pull the weeds out of the driveway cracks when a different neighbor came over and gave him a bottle of weed killer. They make such a thing? Let me get this straight: first you have to "whack" the weeds, then pull them, they spray them with something? This is much too hard. We have never owned a bottle of weed killer before. I wonder if they make it in keg-sized bottles.

7 comments:

Lysandra said...

HAHAH welcome to my world of Stepford yard-dom...It's terrible. I too have hired a lawn service. Life is grand!

The Quinn Report said...

You look beautiful in your photo from last night!

Andrew bitches about doing our yard too. I say, if he wants to hire a yard service, then we also need a cleaning lady once a week. Fair is fair!

Andrea and Ben said...

That looks like a nice restaurant and the food sounds delicious!! Sorry about the yard, I love having desert landscape!!

Joel and Angela said...

Ugh! Joel and I despise the weeds too. We are ready to rip out that back sidewalk just because so many weeds pop through it! Do you have a home owner association? If so...Watch out!!! They'll turn you in for having weeds!!!! NO LIE!

Marie Green said...

Yeah, lucky for us our neighbors are kind of... hippies about their yard, so we're not the only ones on the block that think dandylions are pretty. =)

It does take too much time. We had a lawn service for awhile, but then the "green" side of me felt guilty about putting more junk into our soil. Plus, it was expensive. So, hippie lawn care it is!

Marie Green said...

Oh, and I was looking on your other blog, and I love Brothers and Sisters too. I'm sort of out of the tv loop- has it been renewed?

Jen said...

That is a great picture of you guys! Happy Anniversary!

Weed killer. Good luck with that!