Sunday, July 22, 2007

Design On The Brain

It is well-documented that I watch so much HGTV that approximately 80% of my brain is dreaming of custom window treatments at any given moment. Lately I have been obsessing over how to get our house more homey looking. The family room is just....blah. It needs color. It needs fabric. It needs David Bromstad. I keep taking out samples from the fabric store laying them around hoping to find the right answer for my window treatment dilemma. Here is my current selection.


The problem is that I want red stripes in the family room as casual tie up shades (just for looks), but I have blue kitchen accessories and the two rooms open in to each other. So, I need to find a coordinating fabric with some blue in it to hang over the kitchen sink. THAT is hard part. There are very few with both red and blue in them that aren't giant florals or that aren't covered in a hideous gold color. Weird.

I have decided what to do with Becca's curtain situation, however. These pink toile beauties from Pottery Barn Kids. That is almost the same color green I painted her room. I love the light pink and light green together. I thought I could make them myself (with much, much help and use of sewing machine and sewing skills from Tracy) for cheaper. But, I can't. The toile fabric has to be special ordered and runs about 29 dollars a yard. Even if I buy it when it is 50% off (this week) it is still about twice as much money!!! To outfit two windows in it, would be waaaaaaay more than just getting them from Pottery Barn.

So, you have to picture the above room without the lovely dark sleigh crib (which is totally what I wanted, but couldn't find/afford it in Alaska). But, I do love toile and I'm so excited about it. Unfortunately, they are on backorder. I HATE backorder with a passion!!!

5 comments:

Angie said...

I'm glad that you found something for Becca's room. I've had a terrible time finding fabrics or curtains before. If I could just design all of my own fabric, so that I could get EXACTLY what I wanted that would help.

Swistle said...

Oooh, fun post. I love-uv-uv-uv the pink toile curtains. I love toile. I love pink.

Jen said...

I wanted a sleigh crib like that, too, but MAN are they expensive. Love the look of Becca's new room, though. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I don't know what to tell you about the curtain dilemma. Guess you need some more time back in Korea to go to the fabric market. ;-) In any case, you should totally do red stripes. I love red stripes.

Anonymous said...

BOOORRRRIIIINNNNNGGGG!

I need a beer jus looking at this.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,

You obviously don't know David Bromstad - Mr. Color Splash. He's anything but boring!

Since burnt orange won't do, keep looking for something red and blue for the family room.

Hook 'em!