Monday, August 20, 2007

It is like I had two different weekends

The first half of the weekend was full of tourism, eating out, eating in (John made heavenly light and fluffly strawberry pancakes), exploring Baltimore and family fun.

The second half was full of naps, eating gross leftovers, and saying "Daddy is bye-bye. Gee Gee is bye-bye. NO NO NO Becca! Do not ram your stroller into Canyon!" I'd say Becca and I are going through some withdrawals.
I tend to just let everything slide when we have company. I don't pay bills. I don't do laundry. I forget that I have library books overdue. I don't keep up with anything. Maybe that is why I love having company so much--it is like I'm on vacation with them. Especially when the company babysits while John and I sneak off to see a real movie--in the theater, with a giant vat of popcorn (we saw Stardust, which I enjoyed. John wished it had more action. Becca loved spending time with her Gee Gee.)


On the tourist front: we drove through some hard-core ghetto looking for the Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum in downtown Baltimore. Jo Anne is into genealogy and her family is somehow related to Edgar, so we thought we'd check it out (this means Becca is related to Ralph Waldo and Edgar Allan. I would tell you she will be a writer, but currently all she does is bite the tips off the Color Wonder markers, so maybe not).

Where was I? Oh yes. The scary ghetto. So, the Poe House--not Po' House, but might as well be-- is only open from noon to 3:30 p.m., which we thought was really weird until we entered the neighborhood and began to think we would get car-jacked in broad daylight, and who knows what after 3:30 p.m. We didn't go in. For one, it was closed. Also, just HELL NO. We just locked the doors. Then, I braved the danger, rolled down a window and took this picture. I am so courageous.

I just now noticed that they actually shutter the windows when it is closed. I'm surpised there isn't a chain across the front of the door. They say the place is haunted. That isn't what scares me and I don't think I'll be finding out anytime soon. Baltimore has some really nice neighborhoods that I would love to explore. This just wasn't one of them.

6 comments:

Bruce, Tamara, Lolo & Echo said...

Finally getting back in touch. I feel so cozy and at home viewing your blogs..like sipping a warm, fragrant cup of Chai...which I practically spew as I suddenly burst out in snorts of laughter as I continue to read.

Becca is so beautiful by the way. It's nice to know someone else appreciates the obsessive need to take a few hundred to get a few really good ones approach to photography. Bruce and Lolo still think I'm nuts that I can take a hundred shots of caterpillers and chrysali on the parsley or birds in our backyard. They neighbors are now used to me crawling around the lawn looking for bugs.. oh, I'm working on photos in the hopes of one day putting out a children's book on discovering bugs...pipe dream right now but at least I'm geting started on the photos.

Jen said...

Those are some great photos, as usual, and those pancakes look divine. Yum.

I wish you lived closer so we could get the 2 hellions together and then drink wine and try to ignore them. I'm kidding. Sort of.

Katie said...

Did someone say wine?

Anonymous said...

Quoth the toddler, "NO NO NO!"

Andrea and Ben said...

Those pancakes look TASTY!!! Yeah, when are you coming to Tucson so you can get your kids together with jen's and we can all drink wine?

Joel and Angela said...

Loved this post. The picture of John with Becca looking over his shoulder is great! And the pancakes made me hungry!