Wednesday, August 08, 2007

While We're Being Dramatic....

John made total fun of me calling that last post "Hacked!" But, hello! Have you ever had three inches taken off your hair? I asked for that much to be taken off. I'm okay with that part. But, it does feel as though my hair has been totally schwacked. You ladies understand.

So, the official title of this post is: "MAJOR DISASTER!"

I broke the laptop. I was just typing an innocent email message when the whole screen turned into dancing orange dots. Then it died. It won't turn on. John forced it to turn on (somehow, I don't know) and all these weird lines and dots danced frantically across the screen before it died again.

I have no idea what I did. Because I didn't do anything that I don't do ten million times a day. The only thing that I can imagine might have happened was that Becca now pushes a chair over to it, climbs up on the chair and bangs the hell out of the keyboard whenever I forget to close it.

I feel like Carrie Bradshaw. I want to wrap it in my finest Korean fake pashmina and rush it to the computer doctor. And, of course, I don't "back up", like ever. Thank GOD for our photo discussions the other day that inspired me to get all my photos on to Winkflash. But that letter I wrote to Becca on her one year birthday is gone. As well as any other writing I have ever attempted. And, the full-sized photos that I can keep forever. Gone. Please cry for me, Argentina.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

First!

Andrea and Ben said...

All I have to say is geek squad. They are miracle workers.

Lysandra said...

Sad!

Marie Green said...

If you take it in somewhere, they may be able to recover your data. My hubby works in this line of business, and they can take your hard drive out of your laptop, plug it into another computer and recover stuff.

At least I think they can. I don't actually know, since I have a comp. geek husband I know very little about this stuff... because he takes care of everything!

Also, just to warn you, you will probably pay quite a bit for labor.

BUT I hope you can get your data! And Whew! about your pictures... I consider myself warned.

The Quinn Report said...

I love your "hair did." You look pretty regardless!
You are a true natural beauty!

Angie said...

I hope that you can recover the data. Buy an external hard drive for back up.

Jen said...

OH NO. I'm so sorry. I hope you can get it to work somehow. Funny, I thought I broke our desktop 2 days ago. Somehow Tim fixed it and was able to restore it to its near likeness. I hope someone can do the same for you.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that sucks! But I feel your pain. My computer caught an awful virus last month and I was mortified. I lugged the stupid cpu back and forth to 2 Geeks more times than I can remember. They were able to salvage (most of) my data but it was not a pleasant experience. I hope yours goes better than mine. Good luck.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

You should be able to recover your data. Our Laptop did the same thing in AK and Geek City just made a DVD of all the data.

I just bought a new Dell. Reconsidering my desicion after it has been back ordered TWICE and I had to wait on the phone for 2.5 hours yesterday before someone (somewhat intelligent) fixed the order. Bye-bye hot apple red, hello boring black. Damn all you people with the same taste as me. I need my computer!! Anyway, if you need a new one consider Best Buy instead of shopping online or the phone...that is if you are getting a Dell.

Joel and Angela said...

I can't imagine losing your pics. Katheryn decided she was going to scrapbook and cut up one of our family photos and I was so upset. And this one I have online and digital. Wonder what I would do if we lost all our pictures.

By the way, your hair looks great! I wouldn't say it was wacked!
a

Anonymous said...

Dange,r Will Robinson