Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Diva Diaries

Okay. Whew! Glad that is over. Now I just sit around and wait until this weekend when they let people know. They have three DAYS of auditions. I went on the first day. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. It was by far the most intense audition I've ever had. As I was sitting around waiting for my turn, I read a brochure about the group and learned they have won an Emmy Award. That just got me even more nervous.

I got there about an hour early, thinking I would have time to sing, warmup, be alone and collect my thoughts. But, since the church was close to downtown Baltimore, there were no open doors. I just had to sit in this waiting area with everyone else, clutching my thermos of tea and honey, my to-go cup of chicken broth, my throat lozenges and my bottle of water. Freak girl on the loose!

I tried not to talk too much all day. I drank my body weight in Throat Coat tea. I avoided dairy products. I didn't let any fan or air conditioning blow directly on me. God, I'm glad that is over.

So, my turn came up. It was just the choral director and the pianist. I sang my Mozart aria--the high notes just floated right out! My throat was still hurting, but it didn't seem to affect my vocal chords too much. I sang the awfully high Beethoven piece and messed up one part that he made me do again. The pianist hit a few wrong notes and I think I sang right along with him, which is bad. The whole time I was singing, the director was just writing and writing. He didn't look at my once during either song. I had been working on my emotions and how to convey them. I was acting dammit! And he never even looked!

Then, I had to do the hard part--the tonal test. I HATE that. They play all these weird note combos and you have to sing them back. I got all of them but the last one, which was a whole note scale. I just could NOT get it. I tried it about four times and I don't even know if I ever got it right. The sightreading was next. I messed up a little bit. But, overall, I felt it was probably an accurate representation of my singing abilities. So, now I just have to wait until this weekend to hear something!

Jane and John left this morning to head back to South Carolina. Luckily John is home for a couple days, so it won't feel completely empty around here. I hardly took care of Becca at all for the last four days. It is amazing how much more I appreciate and miss her when I get a bit of a break. It isn't that I don't appreciate her normally, but I just get worn down from being on constant duty. Last night after my audition, I couldn't wait to get home and see her again. Funny how that works! She gave me a big hug and said, "I missed you!"

16 comments:

Tracy said...

It is amazing what a break can do for your mental state isn't it?

Anonymous said...

You SOOO got it, girl. If you sang to your abilities, the spot is YOURS, (unless, of course, the choir director is nuts). Keep us posted!

Marie Green said...

Glad your audition is over! I can't wait to hear the results. And even with a sore throat, singing and hitting the notes and feeling satisified with your representation of yourself. Well, that is in itself a success.

Now you can chill for awhile! Yay!

Angie said...

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm glad that you feel that you did to the best of your abilities. That's great.

And, breaks from your children can keep you a happy mom! I'm all for them.

The Quinn Report said...

I am so excited to hear even more after this upcoming weekend! I have a feeling something good will come out of this for you!

Anonymous said...

We're all sending good wishes from Texas! You have an awesome voice! If the director has any brains, he will grab you up for his choir right away!

Tess said...

Way to go! Sounds like you did great!

I have always wanted to try out for a chorus, but I'm too scared to the tonal test/sightreading.

Erin said...

Hey, nice job! Good for you to go for it. That is the kind of thing I would just THINK about doing and puke from nerves. I am impressed.

Does Becca always wear pretty dresses? They are so damn cute. It makes me want to have a baby girl. Which is nuts, right? I mean, I JUST HAD a baby. I canNOT want another. Not now. But the dresses... they are so cute.

Andrea and Ben said...

Whew! Can't wait to hear. I am nervous for you, so you can just relax :0)

Unknown said...

What an amazing thing you did! My nerves never would have lasted through something like that. I'm on pins and needles for you! Lots of good thoughts/prayers from Vegas.

Jen said...

I totally know what you mean about doing a better job as a mom when you get a little break. I think it's good for both you and the child.

I'm glad your audition is done! It sounds really hard. I hope they think you did great, and I can't wait to hear the results!

Tracy said...

I must say, please don't quit writing. You are very inspiring. If you can follow your passion with a child surely I can realize and make my passion a reality.

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting for you to upload you singing on to the blog. I have never heard you sing and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to. Who all is with me?

Anonymous said...

Minnesotans want to hear you sing, too. What was the Beethoven piece??

Anonymous said...

. . .or is it AFM? or FAM? I forgot, and thirtysomething isn't even in my rear-view mirror any more!!

Anonymous said...

AFM. I googled it.