Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Dude, Where's My Youth?

We just had our new neighbor over for dinner. She is 22 years old. She and her boyfriend just bought the house next to us. He just turned 23. They both just moved out of their parents' house for the first time. She is twenty-two! He was off at night school and she looked lonely with no cable hooked up yet in her house. So, I invited her over for enchiladas.

We are still trying to figure out how the hell they could buy a five bedroom house with a yard twice the size of ours for their very first place. My sister is a twenty-one year old college student living with multiple other people in an apartment and working at Starbucks (*Hi, Susan!*) I just cannot picture her moving in next door to me in suburbia. It is just too strange.

She was sunny and cheerful and optimistic. She talked a lot about drinking games and bars and drinking and something about taking turns flipping cups of beer or some shit. She is twenty-two. Geeeezus.

John and I felt totally old. It is like we just time-warped from being that age ourselves to being in the show thirtysomething. It is like we just woke up and found ourselves plopped down amidst plastic slides and dollhouses, mopping gunk off our dog's infected face, picking up black beans that our toddler just threw on the floor and asking her what kids these days are "into." At one point I even heard John say, "Gosh, I remember when matinees only cost two dollars!" There were a few awkward silences when I was afraid she was going to ask us where we stored our walkers and Ben-Gay.

She said they'd invite us over to play Beer Pong sometime soon. I'd say the neighborhood just got a little more interesting.

18 comments:

Jen said...

Beer pong?

Wow, how did they buy that house? Did you say five bedrooms? Geez! That's pure craziness.

If it's any consolation, you are not old (by saying this, I am also telling myself that I am not old), and anyway, you and John are totally hip. I'm sure the kids don't say 'hip' anymore, do they.

Marie Green said...

Nothing like a perky 20 year old to make you feel old!

And thirtysomething! Remember how OLD those people were? My mom watched that show, and THIRTY seem very OLD and UNCOOL to me.

Now, thirty? It's the new 20. Def.

Unknown said...

It is sooo funny that you posted this. I, too, have college age kids next door. But, there are about 4 of them living there and one of them is the brother of the owner. Anyway, I actually called a college friend to ask her if I should go next door to tell them their garage band was a little too loud. We decided 'no' was the correct answer as it wasn't bothering Braden (who had just been put down for the night). BUT, I actually said to my friend, "they're nice kids". What?!

Angie said...

How did they buy that house! I'm totally jealous! And, living in company grade housing, we have many LT neighbors. Young neighbors, so I have the old feeling all of the time. They aren't play beer pong, though. A few of them have babies. I'd have a 10-12 year old at their rate. yuck.

The Quinn Report said...

Beer pong sounds fun to me!!! Maybe they'll lighten the neighborhood up a bit and add an extra little something.

Who knows, they might be your new BFF's and next week you could be planning a wedding!

Anonymous said...

I'm sensing parental assistance with that house purchase.

Sometimes I'm startled to find that high school kids consider me ancient and lame. Other times I'm relieved to be out of the silly stage of life that included so many things that are later embarrassing.

Tracy said...

Bring her along to the playgroups/potlucks and it will make all the kids just disappear! You will have a blast seeing her look mortified at the amount of children all under one roof. (at least you won't be alone in your thoughts then!)

Tess said...

If I had had a house at 22, I would have burned it to the ground within a year. You just don't CARE enough about shit at that age.

Beer pong, hehe. That brings me back.

Anonymous said...

Swistle is right on. Family money, baby.

Sioux said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA....beer pong...you are in for a good time. And Mommy and Daddy totally helped them out with that house. And don't count on me moving to suburbia next year.

Andrea and Ben said...

some engineering students recently marketed some mats that will make the beer pong cups stay put. Very genius!!

You are not old, you are experienced. You are old when you stop having 22 year olds over because they make you feel old ;0)

Jen said...

Okay, now I'm feeling really old. WHAT IS BEER PONG?

Katie said...

You have six cups of beer at one end of a room/table/whatever and six cups at the other end. One team throws a quarter or a ping pong ball to the other sides' cups. If it goes in a cup, the other side has to drink all the beer in that cup. We actually called in Beirut. Just a dumb drinking game!

Sioux said...

Katie, your conception of beer pong is Soooooooooo wrong. There are TEN cups. And it's always a ping pong ball (quarters is a different game). And it's not a table/room whatever. It should be a flat surface the length of a ping pong table. And there are lots of different rules, most of which vary by the host's personal preferences. I can't even go into enough detail here. Maybe we can play for Mom's birthday or something ;)

Katie said...

See? Old. I told you. We used to play "Beirut" and we used quarters and we just plopped far apart on the floor. So, that is about as far as I ever got with that game!

Katie said...

And, you're right! I forgot about all the crazy rules people made up. I am never very good at remembering any rules to drinking games!

Anonymous said...

Do not shock your mother.

Anonymous said...

Uh oh...Bevo's anonymity is gone...