Sunday, October 14, 2007

An Actual Weekend

Since quitting my job and since John started working every! single! weekend! I really don't like weekends much. No one updates their blogs. No one sends me emails (except you, Mom! Hi!) I guess everyone is too busy going out and having adventures. TV sucks, or just doesn't exist or looks like something resembling a contact sport. Stores don't open until impossibly late. The Today Show isn't on (the weekend version just doesn't cut it).

But! This weekend John was here for part of it! He was away Friday night, but I went to playgroup--which I have really started enjoying. Every week a baby cartwheels down a few stairs while the mommies are drinking wine. Don't hate me. It isn't my baby.

John came back on Saturday and we did yard work! ( I am convinced our neighbors were peeking out of their windows saying, "Mrytle! You have to come see this! These two fools are actually trying to cut down that 2-story butterfly bush with a pair of teeny clippers!") And then we grilled out on the deck, overlooking the newly shorn butterfly bush and wondering why it appeared so dilapidated. This morning we made bacon and strawberry pancakes (well, I made them while he tried to keep Becca from standing between my legs and the oven. NOT an easy job). We sat outside on the deck while Becca played.

We went shopping for sunglasses and out to eat (at a decidedly nasty little neighborhood cafe). It was great--well, except for the Maryland Crab soup and the dry pit beef sandwich! It actually FELT like a weekend. So, this is why people love weekends. I had forgotten. John did have to leave this afternoon, so Becca, Canyon and I drove over to a little park to take a walk and play on the playground.

On a side note: taking a walk with Becca is an adventure. She is fascinated by every single thing. Today we sat on the path and played with acorns, putting on their hats, and taking them off....for, like, oh........a loooong time. And I had to make her move on. I really think she could have sat there with those acorns the rest of the day. I finally encouraged her to put some in her pockets to take on our walk. Oh Lord. Then, we had to stop at every acorn on the path and try to shove it in her already chipmunk-cheek pockets. When she saw some squirrels she was frantically picking more acorns off the ground and running to offer them to the squirrels, who only climbed the trees and squawked at her. She was kind of bewildered.


But, these acorns were hand-selected!

So. That was our weekend. How was yours?

11 comments:

Tracy said...

Fall is a wonderful thing. And, I bet you never even broke a sweat!
Yeah fall!

Lysandra said...

Busy!

The Quinn Report said...

I was a very sweaty housewife this weekend!

Katie said...

Ooooh. A sweaty housewife? That sounds like a bad movie.

Tess said...

My baby cartwheeled down the steps of a model home we were looking at (she's fine). Dude, I was RIGHT THERE! I don't know what happened. We don't have steps in our house so I'm not used to this crap. I wasn't drinking or anything!

You could just see the builder calcuating their insurance coverage.

Jen said...

How fun! Cute, Becca stuffing acorns in her pockets.

We went to Apple Annie's to get pumpkins. And watched football. And then I cried, my team lost so horribly. I know, why would I even bother watching football. But it was a pretty good weekend.

A Goldsworthy Note said...

You're so funny. Most of the time when I have time to comment on blogs I feel like you're the only one with a new post. I love going to your page because I know there will be a new and exciting post to read. Thanks. Sorry I'm so horrible at posting. This weekend I'll make sure to put up a new post :0)
Also, I've never had strawberry pancakes...I think I'll give them a try.

Andrea and Ben said...

Grrr, our weekend was CRAZY!!! Kitchen prep. Look for photos later!!

Joel and Angela said...

OOOO! Bacon....I love bacon! Becca is so cute! Luke and I were just counting acorns the other day. "uh...tuh...tee". We had bday parties to go to, but I wrote the wrong time down for one of them and totally missed it! Oh well...

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Glad you had a great weekend together. Sometimes there is nothing better than a weekend together doing yard work. (It's a good thing I think that way since we have been living in construction for what seems like forever...)

The last picture is adorable. You really captured the moment and her thoughts...

Anonymous said...

Ask Becca to see how manyacorns she can stuff in her cheeks. See if she is as good as a chipmunk.