Thursday, November 15, 2007

Words to the Wise

Number one: Do not spend a week totally cleaning and organizing your basement. (If only I had taken some pictures after I finished. It looked so nice. Everything was organized in the storage areas and there wasn't a single box out in the living area....) Just don't bother doing it, because this will happen:
How did all this junk fit in a small storage area? It expanded ten-fold when released from
the confines.
The basement carpet is still all soggy and wet, but none of our stuff was ruined (at least, not that I've discovered yet). John was my hero and pulled everything out to safety, supervised the installation of the new water heater, and spent a lot of time trying to Shop-Vac water from the carpet. We don't know how long the water has been sitting down here. It could have been since Sunday. Now, why don't they install catch pans or drains under hot water heaters? Wouldn't that prevent these kind of disasters? I'm not a plumber or anything, but when you install a giant tank that holds water in your house.....ummmm....seems like you might think about that kind of thing.

Number two: Do not travel with your giant camera in your carry-on if you do not plan to take a single photo on your trip. Duh.

Number three: This one I cannot emphasize enough. Do not, under any circumstances, travel during the "Suicide hours" with your toddler, unless you enjoy trying to contain a spastic, screaming, 30-pound limp lasagna noodle in a small enclosed space for 3 hours.

On the agenda for today: Sopping up wetness from carpet (maybe I'll just dress Becca in a few layers of clothing and tell her to roll around on it) and baking healthy banana bread. Or, maybe it won't be healthy. Either way, banana bread is on the agenda, because it is gray and rainy...maybe not the best weather for trying to extract water from your carpets....but it is a perfect banana bread day.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Put your flippers on, and embrace the water! good luck cleaning and sopping up

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I believe I have created a Banana Bread Monster!!

A Goldsworthy Note said...

Good Luck with the water.

Now, I'm going to crave banana bread all day...I better make some :0) hehehe. Oh, and the camera thing made me laugh because I do that all of the time. This last trip was the first time I didn't fool myself into thinking I needed it as carry on.

Jen said...

#3. Ack. Horrifying. I don't know how you do that alone. I would want to kill someone.

Banana bread. Excellent idea. I hope it will be grey and rainy here later, but I guess there's only a 10% chance of that. Bah.

Anonymous said...

I so empathize, my dear. So sorry you have to go through this.

Angie said...

I hate when I do that with the camera. It would be so much easier to not carry it if I wasn't going to take pictures. I'm even more irriated though when I want to take pictures and I left the camera at home.

And, truly, I don't think there is a GOOD time to travel with a toddler, though the suicide hours aren't really a good time to do anything with a toddler.

You are right, I surely shouldn't try to organize our basement. If I do, we will have a major disaster.

The Quinn Report said...

I feel for you girl.