Sunday, July 09, 2006

Spaz


We had Becca baptized today at the church where I grew up and where John and I got married.

We had to meet with the minister earlier this week to have an hour long lecture on baptism and its roots and the role it plays in the Methodist church. He kept calling Rebecca "Rachel" while we were there. He was kind of spastic and flung himself wildly around his office while talking to us. He was a lot like a Texas high school football coach. He talked about riding around in pickups talking about God. Then, he told us about another couple that brought him some exotic beer for baptizing their baby. My brain immediately started pinging, "were we supposed to get him a present? Oh no. I didn't get him any present. Does he like Bud Light?"

Another baby was also baptized at the same time today. She was a preemie when she was born, so the minister called her a "miracle baby!" He said she was so special. I'm SURE she is, but I was irritated that he wasn't calling MY baby special. (Yes. Apparently I have turned into one of THOSE mothers. Think Grizzly Bear).

I KNOW you didn't call my baby the wrong name!

He turned to us and said, "This baby is also a miracle. But not because of the baby, because of the dad." I was thinking WHAT? What is he TALKING about? We didn't have fertility problems. Others were thinking he was saying he is a miracle because he survived a recent deployment. But, no. That is not what he was saying. He went on to explain that my dad kept a shotgun at the ready when I was dating, but John never had to worry about that because he has much more fire power because he flies an A-10 Warthog. The congregation laughed and thought that was funny. I snickered under my breath because my high school boyfriend's parents were there and he DID have my dad point a shotgun at him (only to check the aim, according to my dad). Anyway, I was a little baffled by the direction this baptism was going. Then, he presented a bible to "Nicole" as he handed it to us.

Some folks were wondering if we would have to actually start calling her Nicole if he baptized her with that name! Amy, the Godmother, whispered under her breath to me, "He better not MAKE me correct him!" Then, he asked us a bunch of questions, but we weren't sure if the answer was "I do" or "We do" or "We will" or "I will", so we were all just kind of mumbling under our breath. He picked up Becca and said, "What name do you give this child?"

John answered, "Rebecca Emerson" and the minister said, "Rebecca what?" Man. This guy has no idea who we are! He did manage to baptize her with the correct name!

We had a party afterwards at my parents house and all of Becca's grandparents, aunts and uncles were there, along with many other cherished friends. It was a great day!

P.S. I'm having major technical difficulties! I took a ton of photos today from the baptism, but somehow they aren't showing up on my memory card once I plug it into the card reader. However, when I put the card back in the camera I can see them. So, until then, I will leave you with a picture of Becca with her Nana and Grandpa! This is what Becca looks like when she's been awake and totally overstimulated for 7 hours at a loud restaurant with blaring live music. Then, she screams the whole way home in the car.

13 comments:

Lysandra said...

She is adorable...i am glad you had a memorable baptism!

Angie said...

At least she was baptized with the correct name! I wouldn't have liked the other baby being described as so special, either. It's a good thing Ashlyn was the only baby being baptized that day. I do expect to see pictures, soon. Becca looks like she has changed since I saw her last. More hair?

Andrea and Ben said...

This is one for the baby book :0)

april said...

what kind of toys did you get becca to encourage crawling? i really want to get lauren moving. the posted pics turned out really well, i hope you get it fixed so we can see more!

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

First of all, you two look beautiful!! Sorry that your preacher was such a spaz.
Becca IS a blessed miracle baby who is loved very much!!
Looking forward to seeing more photos. Speaking of photos, I emailed you one today...

Angie said...

Love the picture!

Anonymous said...

so did the minister ever realize he was calling Becca the wrong name? I would have been pissed.

Joel and Angela said...

She looks so beautiful in the baptism dress!! And you look great in the grizzly bear photo!
My Dad came out to the drive way to meet my high school boyfriend carving an apple with a machede! How do you spell machede? MU-SHEH-DEE! Oh ,well!

Anonymous said...

The other baby's name was "Ashley Nicole" so that is where the minister got the name "Nicole!" Also, we got an email correction from the same minister who, when talking in our Sunday School class about a woman who has been very ill, said she was dead. The email said that she was NOT dead. In spite of a couple goofs, he is a wonderfully warm and caring minister - full of life and a great sense of humor. So we forgive him!

Jen said...

What a crazy story! Glad you were able to post a couple of photos - you both look great!

Andrea and Ben said...

are you home? If not, when are you coming home?

Lysandra said...

I changed my blog address to lysandrachronicles.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

The important thing is that she wasn't named "Earnest" (to paraphrase Oscar Wilde)!
Love,
(Great)Aunt Linda
P.S. Are you stopping by in Minneapolis on the way to Alaska?