Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Last December


Okay, y'all. When this photo was taken, it was all I could do not to hit "delete." And, I swore I would never show it to anyone. A year later I look at it and think: I was just days away from having a baby. It makes me love this picture. The bloating, the full-on chub, the cankles, the cellulite, the stomach that felt like it was too heavy to allow me to stand up straight....it was all about to result in a beautiful baby.

John's dad came to visit us last year around this time. He left just about three days before Becca was born. We spent our last childfree days going to movies, driving out to Chatanika lodge for yummy burgers, and trying to sleep. Of course, I was so uncomfortable that I couldn't sleep much at all.

I was obsessing over when I would go into labor, torn between wanting it to be right away, and wanting to wait for my mom to arrive on my due date (December 13).

I was wearing those giant maternity clothes that I never thought would actually fit. I had tons of hand-me-downs. When I sorted through them in my second trimester I threw all the hideous giant clothes into a box in a basement: I would never get that big. However, in my last few weeks as a giant pregnant lady, I was ransacking those basement boxes regularly! Hey! Look at this cute shirt! It doesn't look that big.
I was getting pedicures, rearranging the tiny baby clothes, decorating the house for Christmas, wrapping packages and trying to keep the house stocked with enough groceries to keep me shovelling food 24 hours a day.....but mostly I was obsessing over the baby. I couldn't wait to meet the babe, to learn if it was a boy or girl, to hold and cuddle and see who it looked like.
I know I was miserable and feeling awful and gigantic, but when I look at these pictures I get a rosy feeling. However, I'm also relieved to be rid of my cankles.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Hey, it ALMOST sounds like you're ready for Number Two! Ok, I'm kidding. Is that the most annoying thing in the world? People ask me that all. the. time. When's number two coming? When are you gonna have number two? Like, none of your damn business. But there I go, saying it to someone else...

Katie said...

Erin, I know what you mean. I always SWORE I would never ask anyone when they were going to start trying to have kids....but I asked someone yesterday. Doh!

I'm not ready for number 2 yet, though, to answer your question!

Anonymous said...

I loved being a fat, pregnant person too. :) I still laugh that our babies were born within a week of each other!

Kelly said...

I so glad you can look back and now enjoy the memories and pictures from that time. It's just one of the many stages of your life with Becca.

The Quinn Report said...

Did you enjoy being pregnant? I didn't think I did at the time, but now I miss it. You always want what you don't have. When I was pregnant I didn't want the belly; now I would do anything to have it all back!

Jen said...

One of y'all can have my big belly! Actually, I like to complain a lot about this third trimester, but it is amazing to be bringing a life into the world. Katie, you did a great job of summarizing how I think we all feel when we're pregnant!

Isn't Becca's birthday coming up soon??

Lysandra said...

I too loved being pregnant...after the nauseau subsided, that is. I miss the tummy and feeling the movements and just knowing that you are growing a baby that you will love more than you can fathom. I loved the day that Michael was born and loved all the days that followed, even the bad ones, just because he is in my life.....ah sentiment.

Angie said...

I do not miss being pregnant overall, but I do miss the feeling of the baby moving inside you. And, the anticipation of the best surprise of all time!