Thursday, January 04, 2007

Because it is all about the eating...

I haven't been very good about taking advantage of all that Austin has to offer. I haven't been shopping (much) because I'm trying to save money, I haven't been out to eat (much) because Becca is turning into a terror in restaurants, and I haven't been sitting around in the sun (much), thanks to the cold and the gray and the rain (bastards).

But, we did go out to eat last night to celebrate David's 29th Birthday. We drove up to Pflugerville, through the rain and the frontage roads and the many stoplights to eat at a Hungarian/German European Bistro. We had gulyas, homeade bread with farmers' cheese, lamb dumplings (which we really rudely made Becca eat--poor Yamb), schnitzels, spaetzle, cucumber salads, Spaten Bier and Gluh Wein. It was a great meal!

Becca is turning into a pain in restaurants because she wants to get down and walk. She was rolling around on the floor under her high chair, getting nasty stains on her new outfit, eating food that I hope was dropped by her and not some other germ-ridden child. When she wasn't doing that, she was trying to run away to climb the steps to the second floor. She held up well overall, but was a little more whiny than usual. Then, Grandpa Jack let her have his credit card and she was happy as a clam.

Can someone hook me up with a ride to Toys R Us?

Then, we came home and had Oreo ice cream cake, which I haven't had in a long time. Three layers of sin covered with whipped icing and chocolate drizzle. Yummmmm.Becca got to eat her first REAL cake, since I was such a loser with the carrot cake on her birthday.

Now THIS is cake!

6 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

Looks tasty!!

Anonymous said...

Whatev! Your carrot birthday cake was delish!

Angie said...

Carrot cake is good. I am jealous of the eating out thing. I want to go out to eat in Austin!

Jen said...

Sounds fun! I don't remember the last time we all went out to eat, either. Oh, wait. Probably to In N Out Burger in November for my birthday. It's hard to go out with them, and sometimes it's just not worth it!

I want to go out to eat in Austin, too. Mmm.

Anonymous said...

Send me some CAKE!!!!!!

The Quinn Report said...

Oh my goodness, it looks like she LOVES the oreo cake. "Yummy Mommy!"

I know what your saying about saving money by not eating out and what not. Andrews favorite thing is trying new "yuppie" restaurants and we always end up spending soooooo much money every month just eating out. I hate it! I'll eat whatever is in the fridge to save some bucks!