Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Little Gobbler

About half a week's worth of produce.

That is a lot of fiber.

I am amazed at how much fresh produce we go through now that Becca eats about 8 servings a day. I may not eat as healthfully as I should, but I try to make sure make sure my kid does. She doesn't know the difference yet, so I figure if she about pees her pants in excitement over blueberries, I'm not going to push french fries on her. (Although, I'll gleefully shove them into my own mouth by the fistful.)



But, damn! I can't seem to manage all the produce we need on one grocery trip a week. I've been about three times this week to refill the fruit bowl(s), eggs, goldfish crackers, cheerios, cheese, bread and milk. This kid is eating us out of house and home. I don't know how parents of teenage boys or people with tons of kids can ever keep enough food around, if one small toddler makes such a dent.



Her absolute favorite foods are blueberries (number one by FAR, which is really freaking fabulous because they are hard to find up here and sell for about 5 dollars for a small box), strawberries, whole apples, kiwi slices, bananas, tangerines, pears, cantelope, watermelon.....so basically fruit is her favorite food group. She also really likes cheese, avocados, peas, black beans, noodles, cucumber slices, cooked vegetables such as green beans, corn, carrots and broccoli. She isn't too crazy about meat, potatoes or rice these days. She will eat a few bites of scrambled eggs.

But, don't be fooled. It isn't all healthy over here. She would love to eat junk food all day if we let her. Whenever or whatever we eat, she is begging...whether it be crackers, chips, popcorn, or cookies. She wants it all. We will hand her a chip, look at each other and shake our heads as she grabs it and scampers off with it.

I have even caught her picking up and eating the gray-tinged ice chunks that Canyon pulls out from between her toes. Okay. Are you done gagging yet? Do you want a popsicle?

6 comments:

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

You can get some frozen fruit at Sams. They have huge bad of blueberries. I totally stock up on them. Just zap them for a little while and they are ready to consume. Yummy.

Just thought that might help your wallet.

Angie said...

gross on the canyon popsicles. I hope the fruit thing keeps up. Ashlyn is getting pickier. I hate that.

Andrea and Ben said...

Too bad you won't be there when the blueberries are ripe for the pickin'. You could stock up! Good for ou for creating good habits in Becca, it will pay off :0)

The Quinn Report said...

So that's what I have to look forward to! Oh joy!

Dang, I wish I was there so I could collect on that Cinnamon Dolce Latte gig!

Anonymous said...

sounds familiar--- i am constantly hearing "mmm, mmm" which means "more, more" everytime i open a bag of cheetos for myself! he wants to eat everything we eat!

Sioux said...

becca begging for chips is probably one of the funniest things ive ever seen...