Thursday, July 05, 2007

Perks

We just returned from a last minute overnight jaunt up to Albany to meet John on one of his airline trips. He called the other night and suggested we meet him up there for the 4th of July. His hotel was only a 5-minute walk to the Albany outdoor July 4th festival and fireworks. It is his favorite holiday and the conditions worked out just right, so we jumped at the chance to join him.

Becca and I took the quick 1 hour flight up there yesterday afternoon, checked into John's hotel room and took a nap while we waited for him to arrive. It was pouring rain. He showed up and we had a few drinks with the other crew members in the hotel bar and then headed off in the direction of the big outdoor celebration. In the rain. It was so pathetic.

We ate some gyros and kettle corn and walked around Albany a bit, including in the underground mall, which must be nice in the winter. It is a beautiful city. I would like to return someday when the weather is a bit more cooperative.

We went back to the hotel and put Becca to bed. Then, we listened to the fireworks from the hotel room. It was just too much work to go back out in the rain to try to see them, especially since Becca had finally gone to sleep. They sounded really spectacular! They didn't even wake Becca up. That is a miracle.

We woke up at 4:30 a.m. today (ouch!) and flew back to Baltimore--on the plane John was flying! THAT was the highlight of the trip. Though I've known John since 1991 and he's been flying nearly that whole time, I have never been in a plane with him while he was the pilot. I loved hearing him make the announcements about the weather and the trip length. When his voice came over the intercom I told Becca, "that's Daddy!" She just looked around for him. I don't think she recognized his voice over the speaker.

He did a spectacular job with a perfect landing! The flight attendants announced that there was a special passenger in Row 3 named Rebecca, whose dad was flying the plane. Everyone clapped. She had no idea why people were clapping, but clapped along with them saying, "Yay!"
The other passengers made wisecracks about how they know they'll have a safe flight with the pilot's family on board. Now it is time for me to get unpacked and repacked for our trip to Texas. I was planning to leave here on Saturday, but the flights look better tomorrow and so Becca and I will be heading out on a plane in the morning for the third day in a row! The next time I write, we should be in the Lone Star State!

By the way, you don't think the other passengers will be annoyed if Becca brings her new yellow recorder with her on the plane, do you?

10 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

I would just love it if some kid brought a recorder on the plane....in flight entertainment. Right. I say who gives a crap, I would honestly rather listen to a recorder than a bored kid scream!!
I am very jealous of your flight perks. Cool for you!! Have fun in Tejas. I hope the flights are uneventful and happy!!

Erin said...

Wow, that IS cool! I've never known anyone who was a real pilot, and I can't imagine actually flying in a plane when the pilot was my FAMILY. I don't know, there's just something really awesome about that.

Jen said...

That is soooo cool! Perks are awesome. Hope you have a good trip to Texas!

The Quinn Report said...

You are so lucky that you and little Becca get to fly here and there whenever you want. Can you tell that I'm jealous? Have a fun trip!

Angie said...

Though I don't love time on planes with a toddler, the one hour flights would be great, especially since it wasn't costing you lots of money. It's also very cool that they announced that Becca's dad was flying the plane. I started crying reading about it. What a freak!

Have fun in Texas!

Anonymous said...

What a darling post. I love the story of John flying with you and Becca on board.

Joel and Angela said...

How cool to get to ride with John flying. Soemthing you can't do in the AF that's for sure! Love the color of Becca's walls! Love it! Just getting back and caught up!
A

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Ang, you are SO pregnant. :)

A Goldsworthy Note said...

How cool is that! I think it's super neat that y'all got to fly on one of John's flights.

As for the 4th, was it nice anywhere? In CO my sister even got hail. Weird. Regardless, sounds like y'all had a nice time. And, you've gotta love fireworks on the 4th.

Marie Green said...

Sounds like you must get lots of flight deals? That is very cool. Oh, and my very bestest friend (East Coast Anne) lives in Maryland. In a suburb of DC. So I've familiar w/ all the local airports- I've racked up a few miles with those trips! =)

Very cool to be in the plane your husband is flying. Corny as it may sound, I probably would have been choked-up proud of him! =)