Thursday, August 30, 2007

All Hail the 1980s.

I am feeling much better today. Especially since my mom is a genius. Leave it to a teacher to know how to get permanent markers off of hard surfaces (her teacher friend, Leann, told her a few years ago!) HAIRSPRAY! Aerosol hairspray, to be exact. And look! It worked.


Magic Eraser got that final black line off. I didn't seem to take a picture of the final result, which looks good as new! Thanks to the Leann and Mom! Now I can start teasing and curling my hair again ala 1986, since I have so much hairspray left.

Unforunately, a combo of hairspray and magic eraser only managed to bleach a giant circle on my couch. So, does anyone know how to remove Sharpie from a dark greenish/brown couch? And then recolor the bleached portion? Anyone? Hello? Want to come over and see my nasty furniture?

Since I have given up in that particular room, Becca and I went to IKEA today. I am trying to figure out what to put on this wall in the dining room. It is a dark red/maroon color, but I took this at night with not much light, so it looks darker than it is.


The air return smack dab in the middle of the wall is causing a bit of a challenge (these pictures are so dark you can hardly even find it, but it is there). Also, the light fixture is centered for the entire room, not just for that wall portion. The light fixture doesn't go at all with my casual style furnishings. I want a wrought iron-carriage-lamp-looking fixture ala Pottery Barn, but at much, much cheaper prices. Like, free or something.

Even worse, I HATE my table and chairs with a burning passion, but John is VERY attached to them as it was our first furniture purchase as a married couple. The eyesore chairs are covered in ill-fitting slipcovers because I am too ashamed to reveal their true, hideous nature. I didn't realize when we haphazardly picked them out ten years ago from a limited and pitiful collection in Del Rio, Texas that they would one day be the first thing you see when you walk in our house. I never figured I would be stuck with them forever and ever and they will continue to haunt me even in the afterlife, I fear. I had no decorating sense whatsoever. I had just moved out of a dorm-type situation, for chrissake. I would have been happy with a card table at that point in my life. How could I be expected to choose something that I would love forever? Especially in DEL RIO, where the most popular daycare in town is the local Walmart. Now, the groom? I was more than happy to sign on for a lifetime. But not for those chairs and table. Ugh.

So, I saw a really cool picture at IKEA called "Misty Road." It was a photo put on a stretched canvas that was pretty good size. It was a path/road winding through trees in all sepia and black tones. I think it would bring in the various colors of brown and black that we have going on in that room and would look good on that red wall. But, I still think it will look weird to just hang one picture on that wall, even though it is pretty big. Something is missing....

11 comments:

The Quinn Report said...

For some reason I thought you had said "Abby Road" and not "Misty Road (not that it matters...the picture that I was invisioning was just different at the time than what you were explaining).

Moving on....I love your dinning room. I think it looks great the way you have it.

Oh, and the Tex Mex Melts are from Pampered Chef. They are tasty!

Marie Green said...

Love the lantern. Might I copy you? Let me know if you find that free version.

Also, great tips about the aquanet. MMMMM, I can smell it now. And Magic Eraser- a gift from the gods? Holy Jebus that stuff is... magical!

I think the IKEA pic you've found would look great. You wouldn't need more, since the wall is divided with the chair rail. Or at least, you could hang the first pic and then see what time tells you. I always need some thinking time when it comes to decorating.

Post photos when you decide!

Jen said...

I have absolutely nothing for you. I know, why even bother with a comment, you ask. Well, because I read it. I was here.

Anyway, I give John about 2 days before he gives in and starts a savings fund for a new table and chairs for you.

I hope someone will offer something up for you, decorating wise. And then I hope they offer me some suggestions. I fear I am soon going to need some serious help with my own house.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Yey for Leann and your mom. What great relief. No clue on the couch. Slip cover is all I've got.

Angie said...

I have no idea about the couch. I only know how to get things off of painted surfaces. I sooo hope that Ashlyn doesn't go after our new furniture.

Allen is completely the opposite. He would like to replace all furniture we've ever purchased, or been given. (except for the new furniture) Of course, couches were our first purchase as a married couple. We left those in Alaska.

joanna said...

I can't stand when the light is hung in an awkward place. Next time I'm going to try changing to a longer chain to hang it from the spot I want.

About an hour after I suggested the magic eraser I got an email warning about chemical burns on children who scrub themselves with the it. I'll have to remember the AquaNet. I've also had success with baking soda and with toothpaste.

I bet the IKEA painting would be great, too. Or art.com or the online digital places will put posters and photos on canvas...

Good luck! I like your dining room too, but know the feeling of wanting new furniture. For me it's our couch - our first purchase together and also from Del Rio! If I could only make it his idea to get a new one...

A Goldsworthy Note said...

Thanks for the hairspray tip. If I find anything out about the couch thing I'll let you know.

I love your living room and think you have great taste. Sadly, I understand what your talking about with the Pottery Barn thing. I, too, love their stuff but would appreciate it if the price was more in my range.

Andrea and Ben said...

I spray painted my light fixture (which is much like yours) black to make it kind of disappear up there and changed out the shades. I love it now.

on the couch, flip the cushion ;0) I got nothin'. If you figure it out, let me know.

Be careful wit hthe magic eraser on most painted surfaces (walls, etc) it will scratch the paint. Also with kids and dogs, they are made with fermeldahyde(sp?). They work great, but keep out of reach.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem in my kitchen. A big dark red wall with an HRV vent in the way of any normal placing art pieces. And so, like yours, it remains naked. Ugghhh!

Angie said...

http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/en_US/mrclean/ME_Truth/index.shtml

I got the magic eraser email, too, but checked it out.

Anonymous said...

Re: the couch stain....1. lift up cushion 2. flip cushion 3. when that side gets really filthy and disgusting, the single sharpie line will seem like no big deal so repeat this sequence until house is rid of children, then buy a NICE couch!