Thursday, August 16, 2007

How Many Photos Can You Take in a Day?

Answer: Two hundred. No kidding. Jo Anne and I took Becca to a small country zoo near the Pennsylvania border. They had a tiger, a giraffe, wolves, bears, bison, monkeys, donkeys, tons of peacocks and much more. Naturally, being one and a half, Becca's favorites were the house cats running around. Who cares that there are exotic creatures that you may never be this close to again when there are kitties ("titties")? It was great because there were only about 5 other people there. And, the throngs and crowds are what I hate about most zoos. That and the sticky sidewalks covered in whining children.



We came home and Becca took a three (!) hour nap while I decided to practice singing for a while. I am auditioning for a hoity-toity Baltimore choir in a few weeks. The audition requires me to prepare my own song or aria, plus a song they choose, plus a tonal test and a sightreading test. I am also to prepare my music resume, listing who I've studied with and what major pieces I have performed. I wonder if they will think the Fairbanks Choral Society is something better than it was. Maybe I'll also put down that I'm "internationally known," because I did sing at that Korean wedding that one time. That sounds, like, totally professional, right?

I have never, ever been to an audition this involved and intense, including auditioning for a college scholarship. A couple years ago I wouldn't have been as nervous as I am now. I am not overly worried about the tests, or the prepared pieces, but I am totally stressed out about my voice. I haven't sung in about two years. I have lost the upper four notes in my range. Uh-oh.

I was practicing hard yesterday to try to get my voice in shape. Big mistake. I did something wrong and now my throat hurts a lot and when I sing anything above a certain mid-level my voice is all scratchy and crackly sounding. According to one of my vocal technique books I had too much tension (no shit) and am now supposed to have complete vocal rest for a few days. Ha! Ha! HA HAHA HA HA HAAAAAA.

So, instead of sitting around in silence we took off for dinner in Havre de Grace. I love that town! It is so quaint and picturesque.

Becca had a wonderful time running wild around on the grassy lawn that runs right down to the Chesapeake. I had a wonderful time eating pan-roasted Mahi Mahi covered in tasso ham, lump crab meat and a tarragon cream sauce. Now, that should cure whatever ails you. My throat is feeling better already.

10 comments:

Tracy said...

I understand the pictures. We fed the duck yesterday and I took 136 pictures. We really need to have this addiction professionally diagnosed! Life is great when your toddler has the FULL attention of a grandparent isn't it?

Lysandra said...

I took 254 at the Dallas World Aquarium! I hope your voice gets better soon!

The Quinn Report said...

I'm sure you'll do just fine at your audition....best of luck to you!

Angie said...

I have a very similar addiction to photos. And, obviously the more you take, the more likely you are to have many, many you like. And, your pictures from the day are awesome!

Good luck with your voice. I would like a grandparent visit about now.

Jen said...

I love that picture of Becca with her head on the table. LOVE.

I am sad that I never heard you sing. I am amazed and awed by people who can sing. I cannot. I think it's great that you can, and that you are auditioning for this spot. Good luck!

Joel and Angela said...

You make me nervous just explaining the audition! You will do great!!! you know I always think of you when I watch Phantom of the Opera! Brake a leg!
A

Anonymous said...

I should probably take a few more pictures of RJ. I was so overwhelmed with the amount of pictures in his first year that I think I have only taken 10 pictures in the last eight months!

Good luck with your audition!

A Goldsworthy Note said...

Your resume talk made me laugh b/c it sounds like putting an OPR together. Having the rebel you can take a million pictures, huh. I go a bit overboard when I'm with my nieces. I really liked that picture of you and Becca in the park. I love the action photos. Plus, it looks like y'all are having a blast!

Anonymous said...

Your life seems so fun filled, action packed, and full of culture now. So different than the Katie I knew up here (miserable, bored, and lazy). Way to go and I'm sad too, that I never got to here you sing. You should record your audition and put part of it on your blog. All in favor . . .

Andrea and Ben said...

What a wonderful day! Don't underestimate the power of a good photo, and they come after 10-20 ok photos first :0)