Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Mange

John's dad, Jane and Bill stopped by last night on their way up to Canada to deliver Bill to a small college in the great white north. They will be stopping by again on their way back down to South Carolina (without Bill, obviously.) We had a great time with them, and Becca was absolutely over the moon to have some more people to pay attention to her. And, I forgot to take a picture of all of them. I can hardly believe it. Little ol' me! Without the camera attached to my face. Someone call a doctor.

Actually, I could use a doctor right about now. My allergies have been at their all-time worst since moving to this blasted state. For three months straight I have been popping Claritin like they were popcorn kernels covered in parmesan and accompanied by a cold beer. But no. They are accompanied by "Throat Coat" hot tea in hopes that my protesting vocal chords will finally shut the the hell up about the post nasal drip. I know, vocal chords, believe me, now just suck it up and perform. Mmmmkay? I am currently sitting here unable to breathe out of either nostril, my "Ns" sound like "Ds" and unable to even hear the notes I am banging out on the keyboard in the basement, surrounded by piles of wet Kleenex and making awful snorting noises every two seconds.

Yes. My audition is less than a week away now. For those of you who asked, it is on Sept. 4 at 6:40 p.m. Eastern Time. So, I expect you all to to suck on a throat lozenge for me at that moment. Also, think of a high A for me. And two whole pages of high Gs because Beethoven was a complete asshole when he wrote the finale for his ninth symphony. And that's all I have to say about that.

Speaking of doctors--I was speaking of them before I went off on a tangent about singing and blah blah blah, I know y'all don't want the details but yet I cannot stop myself--we had to go to the vet today. Canyon, who is conspicuously absent on this blog, as my Aunt Kunky pointed out, has something repulsive on her face. Something red and green and weeping and huge and spreading. (Wow! This entry is really living up to the title and these sentences are just getting longer by the minute!)

We thought she had just rolled in dog shit, which she is wont to do, or if she is in Korea, to EAT some nasty shit (literally) that is spread in the rice fields. Oh yum. (And have fun trying to bathe her in your tiny apartment in Korea with no outside hose.) This might just be the best entry ever. This is why she is absent from most blog discussions. Anyway, we thought it was just something gross, as there was just some kind of stinky wet stuff matted to her hair. But, when the green appeared we grew a bit more alarmed. I can't bear to look at things like that, so I just whisked her off to the vet and said, "Fix this, please."

They clipped the hair off, told me it is just a "hot spot" (call me crazy, but doesn't the term spot suggest a rather small area? Not half the head and neck?), then rubbed something on it and then squirted something on it, and then gave her a shot and then charged me $134. Fine, I think, as I whip out my credit card. At least I didn't have to touch that nasty looking shit. Then, they tell me I have to do the rub, squirt routine three times a day. Ummmm. So, $134 does not include someone coming over here three times a day to deal with the flesh eating virus? How much more would that be?

13 comments:

Dana said...

Hi! I randomly found your blog because we had some similar interests.

I think you would like to check out my blog about women's and health-

http://asizableapple.blogspot.com

Hope to see you around the site!
- Dana

joanna said...

Yuck! I thought mange was just basically really really dry doggy skin that flaked off. Hmmm. Our cat has something gross on her lip. I'd like to think if it was oozing I'd take her to the vet...

Andrea and Ben said...

Um, nasty! I am a little repulsed, but know i would be freaking out if it were Roxy. Hope she clears up soon and you are only havig to rub and squirt a few days (that sounds a little sick).

Angie said...

What a great post, you are leaking, the dog is oozing. Awesome. Oh, Ranger had an infection in his penis one time. I had to put the ointment into his penis, and then massage the penis to get the ointment down to the infected area. Yes, I said that I had to massage my dog's penis.

The Quinn Report said...

No fun, I hate dealing with "animal issues." Especially when it involoves their ears...yuck. An ear infection on a dog is THE most horrific smell in the world.

Joel and Angela said...

Poor Canyon!!! But yuck about rubbing that stuff in! Get some rubber gloves!! Hope you get better soon! Anxious to hear about the audition!
A

Tess said...

Oh, you are a singer! How exciting! Best of luck on your audition, I can't wait to hear about it.

It always feels like a double kick to the balls when you go the vet/pediatrician and they not only charge you one MEELION dollars, but also require some...unsavory procedure to be performed at regular intervals. This is how I feel every blasted time AD is prescribed twice-a-day antibiotics, which she HATES.

Erin said...

I hate the vet for that reason. How much money have we tossed their way for ridiculous things? Too freaking much, let me tell you.

Once, one of our dogs had warts (WARTS!) on his snout. We brought him into the vet because, eeeww gross, dog warts. The vet was like, "yeah, that's a wart. It'll go away," and then charged us $120.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Oh shit... I have forgotten what I was going to say about your post because I am cracking up over Angie massaging Ranger's penis!! Hilarious (and gross)! I can barely type.....That is funny. Angie hates it when Ranger Danger licks himself let alone having to massage it for him....
I have tears!! Seriously!

Anonymous said...

I remember the penis rubbing. So funny and yet so disturbing. lol

Katie - YUCK!!! I can't think of much more to say than that

Katie said...

Angie: I would have just died. I probably would have said it was time for the dog to go bye-bye at that point.

Does Ranger have a lot more affection for you now? EW!

Jen said...

Ew ew ew! I can't believe what you have to go through with Canyon sometimes.

Thank God you're not in Korea anymore and don't have to bathe her in your apartment.

Marie Green said...

Doing some catching up on my blog reading (due to vacation, and not wanting to use my mom's computer much as she is a snoop and would surely discover MY blog. UGG!)

Wow, your poor doggie. What a "medical" diagnosis- a hot spot. So technical!

Can you pay a neighbor kid to do the treatments??