Monday, October 29, 2007

WHEW!!

What a trip. The main theme was FOOD. We ate. I mean, we ATE, y'all--and I'm not talking about vegetables. It seemed we would finally finish one giant meal and another would somehow appear. We tailgated at a surprise 40th birthday party for John's cousin, watched the Vols eek out a football win, drank some dranks. We didn't sleep. It was like college, only with more food and more toddlers.
Becca was in hog heaven. I hardly laid my eyes on her for four days as she ran around with a pack of boys. There were so many relatives around that I didn't even keep track of where she was. Someone, somewhere was watching her. It does take a village. And, the only person who loves having a village more than me is Becca.

The biggest adventure was trying to get home yesterday. After a three hour drive to Nashville, we had some trouble getting on a flight back. Everything was completely full. We were able to spend the afternoon at cousin Becky's house while we waited for a flight in the evening with more room. When we got to the airport at 8 p.m. last night, we were told the flight we wanted to get on was now full (it hadn't been just a few hours earlier). We decided to get an airport hotel for 6 hours until the early morning flight today.

But, at the last minute (after we dragged our luggage out to the hotel shuttle pick up area), John found out there WAS room on a flight out in 30 minutes. So, we ran back into the airport and through security and down to the gate (at 9:00 p.m. with people who have had NO sleep). At the gate we were met with a giant pack of people who had been diverted from somewhere else. We didn't get on. I was at my wits' end.

Finally, it turned out our original flight DID have room (I have no idea what was going on) and we got home at 2:30 a.m. Becca lost her shoes somewhere in the airport.

We were wearing filthy dirty clothes and were exhausted beyond belief. While Becca did sleep late that first morning in Knoxville, the rest of the time she was up at her normal early hours. Unfortunately, her parents stayed up past 1 a.m. every night. So, I am really wishing for my village NOW when I need to recover!

The Village Godfather (Uncle Jack) and his sister, Jo Anne

9 comments:

Tracy said...

I miss the village!
That is by far the best reason for visiting family. I am glad you are back. It sounds like you had a great time.

A Goldsworthy Note said...

Sounds like a fun time (except for the flight hunt). There's a picture with the kids in the pool filled with balls. The boy on the left in the blue shirt reminds me of Slim. Do you see it?

The Quinn Report said...

Oh No, not a pair of shoes!? That is my fear in life right now, is loosing a pair of Salem's shoes out-in-about at some random place. We have had some close calls, and it makes me nervous every time. Those suckers do not come cheap and we can't afford to replace those dang things for $40 a pop.
Will I get over buying her expensive shoes for this exact reason or is that just one of the prices you pay for having a little girl who loves shoes?...HELP!

Anonymous said...

The little boy sitting next to Becca in the chair looks like John...but I thought John only had a neice by his sister. So, who dat kid? (Watch me be totally off and its the neighbor's kid, or something.)

To the Quinn Report: Payless, baby, and no one's the wiser.

Jen said...

How fun! It's great to have family around to help with toddlers. I miss that.

Glad you made it home okay!

You look great in orange, by the way!

Marie Green said...

Man, I hate sleep hang-overs! That sand in the eye feeling, the dread of knowing that no one is going to bail you out from taking care of your kid... The good news is, they are usually worth it! =)

Andrea and Ben said...

That sounds like a blast!!! I am exhausted just reading about it!

Katie said...

Molly--the little boy is John's cousin's son. So, that makes him Becca's second cousin? Or first cousin once removed? Or something? I don't really see the resemblance to John. Interesting that you do!

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

I SO saw/see the resemblance! I was going to ask but Molly beat me to it.
Glad you made it back and had what looks and sounds like a wonderful time.