Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Blast From the Past

I've been meaning to post this picture for some time. Here was my inspiration for Becca's bunny cake. This was my third birthday in 1978 in Columbia, MO. I am still in touch with Jenna (the little girl with the long blond hair and sleeveless blue dress on the right). My brother, David, is the baby in the front.

Then, 29.5 years later....

I do say the clothing styles and carpet hues have improved.
Other things that have improved: Knowing you shouldn't smoke next to a baby.

That is my Nana (my mom's mom) holding me. On the left is my Uncle Phil (my mom's brother, or "Aw Phwa" as I used to call him") and to the right is my Grandpa George and his cigarette!

I think we need a caption contest for that photo. It looks like one of those old photos that are now greeting cards with hilarious one-liners. Anyone?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma mistakenly places the turkey in the bassinet and presents the baby for the Thanksgiving feast...but no one seems to mind.

Katie said...

Molly--love it! That is perfect! I can't come up with anything other than:

"Hey, who let the broads into the smoking lounge?"

Andrea and Ben said...

I love the classic color of old photos from our youth. I do like that today they capture the actual color, but I like to think of those days in the matted hue of the 70's! I love that grandpa is smoking - so typical of that era!Thanks for sharing :0)

I am not feeling creative on the caption contest but look forward to reading some suggestions. Molly's is great!

Tracy said...

I had to take a double take. That looks SO much like my grandma. Then the more I looked at it, the more I can totally see your mom in her features. I think the glasses and hairdo are what look like my grandma. Of course, mine would probably of had a cigarette in her hand!
sorry not so good with the captions!

Anonymous said...

Plaids are great!

Peregos said...

wow...the little girl with a blue sleeveless dress is quite a babe... I am sure she grew up to be a hotty. Lucky the man that married her.
Signed: the man that married the little girl with the blue sleeveless dress.

Jen said...

I'm with Andrea - the color of old photos just takes you back. Very cool.

No good with captions...sorry!

molly said...

From Matt (long time reader, first time blogger),

Plane tickets to be with the family for the holidays = $400.00

New plaid dress for the get-to-gether = $90.00

Watching your baby drop a duece in your mom's hand as the picture is taken = Priceless

Katie said...

Matt and Molly win the prize! Y'all are HILARIOUS!

Anonymous said...

This is to the babe in the blue dress!

Hi, Jenna! I loved lurking on your blog, but since I'm anonymous, I couldn't comment on what a fabulous looking family you have! Hope all is going well. Would love to see you! Say Hi to your mom and dad! and sisters and brothers!

Love to all, Carol

Peregos said...

Hi Mrs. Sharp,
I know it's Carol, but to go with the picture Mrs. Sharp is what comes to mind. Ugo's really gotten the blogging bug, it's fun, I just chase the kids around. My 21 month old Sarah has a friend her age across the street and I've tought more than once "She could be your friend for a long, long time!" Pretty awesome. Thanks for writing. Thanks Katie!