Monday, February 04, 2008

Move On Dot Stupid

This morning, 30 minutes before my fourth (fifth?) and FINAL Sears portrait appointment, I called the store to be sure the "good photographer/slacker" was actually going to be there. Because if I have learned one thing, it is that he is never, ever there for his appointments.

Me: "Hi. Just checking to be sure he will be there."

Her: "Ummm. No. Actually he doesn't work here anymore."

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I hope his stupid ass got canned for being the most unreliable person on the PLANET. Also : WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Shit.

Now, at this point, any rational person would have just MOVED ON. But, not me. No. Because I am not rational. In fact, I am irrational.

It is a dreary, rainy gross day and Sears is only 5 minutes away. The lady who answered said it was a slow day and she would honor my coupon. Sounded easy. So, I said, "Screw it," and went anyway. She said she would toss in a free 8 x 10, too.

Mistake. Big, BIG BIGGGGG mistake.

Somehow I got completely swindled. Even my "free" portraits cost 7.99 because I wanted them in black and white (WTF?) I came home with all the wrong numbers of wallet pictures and the wrong sizes of sepia and black and white for what I needed. I paid way too much (even with all the free shit and the coupons). I tried to ask for more of a discount, but since the dude who no longer works there was the manager....and this lady didn't know what I had been through...it just didn't pan out. I tried to explain my hassles, but she wouldn't budge. I didn't push hard enough, I'm sure. But I'm just beaten down. Sick and tired.

The reason the photos suck is that Becca was uncooperative. She cried for the first 10 minutes in there and then her nose was bright red for the rest of the session. So, therefore I HAD to get them in black and white to make her look semi-normal. She wouldn't hold still. Wouldn't smile. Just either cried or ran around in circles.

This was the best of the lot. It is cute. I like it. But it really wasn't as good as I'd hoped, or as good as previous attempts at Picture People (where I never feel swindled, or pissed off.)
Lesson learned. It only takes me 5 times to learn it, but better late than never. I will never, ever, as long as I live, darken the doorway of Sears Portrait Studio.

13 comments:

Jen said...

Two-year-olds and photos do not mix. I don't know WHY, but they just refuse to sit still, or smile, or even look at the camera with a normal expression on their faces.

The picture of Becca is cute, but I can see why you are mad; why do they charge more for b/w or sepia? Stupid. I hope you have better luck at the Picture People next time.

MaryB said...

I am so sorry! My head would have completely exploded!

Also, do you have a place there called Potrait Innovations? Basically the same thing as Picture People and we were very ahppy with thm. AND, they did not charge extra for black and white or sepia!

Don Mills Diva said...

Yikes - I would have been pissed. But I must say that is one darn cute photo...

Peregos said...

A beautiful Becca picture! I do feel your pain. Sarah did the exact same cry, fuss, run around for her 18 month picture. I finally found Target that let her use my legs as her sitting bench (so I wasn't in the shot) and she was settled enough for one keeper shot! What a relief.

Marie Green said...

When my twins were that age, I would take Smarties (the candy) and feed them to them one at a time for cooperating. They aren't very messy and don't create much drool, and my kids would do ANYTHING for more candy.

Maybe a trick for next time?

Andrea and Ben said...

Oh jeez. At least she is a damned cute kid and always takes a great shot, even when she is sick in a hospital robe. Cute photo, but I am glad to hear you are officially done with that place.

I bet with the amount of money you will spend on professional photos by the time she is 18, you could afford a used light and some used backgrounds. Hmmmmmm, just a thought!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a cute pic of Becca.
Katie I see some of the family history with the irrational behaveral.

Anonymous said...

Great suggestion Marie Green! I used to get rolls of nickels and hand them out as bribes when attempting to take Christmas card photos, but my kids (...er, calves) must have been older than Becca!

I agree with ya'll - great picture of Becca!

Hook 'Em!

Joel and Angela said...

I think that photo turned out great! And I agree with Jen that 2 yr olds and photos don't mix. I always almost have a nervous break down at all or sessions. That's why we only go every 2 years! Next time you come here, try that place we just went to. I really liked them and they pull the pics up on a big screen for you to see them. And they are ready in an hour. Portrait Innovations. You may have one close to you!

Tracy said...

This is so funny. YOu couldn't make this up if you tried. I love Bevo's comment. I wonder how rich her calves got? Lets see nickles over the course of thirty some years... Do you think bevo still hands them out at Christmas? It is a very cute picture. You did a great job telling her how to zoom in to get a good shot of Becca.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Katie, Katie, Katie. You crack me up.

That little girl is so cute there can't be a bad picture.

Angie said...

At least you are giving Sears portrait the free (bad) publicity they deserve.

Anonymous said...

That photo does not do MY granddaughter justice!